Re: Holidays & Rallies

John, your post was neither too long or boring. I enjoyed it and try to do similar posts occasionally. If people don't do conversational posts like this, the group would just be a stale question and answer forum.

Regards, Arthur G

Hi folks, > Just got back from the annual 2 weeks in the caravan with family, dog & > engines. > Started of at Yesterdays Farming without my wife as she was working that > weekend. That left me + engines, dog and a 2 year old son. Got the engines > out of the car with the help of next door engine man. Ran them both on and > off all weekend. Running time was rather limited by fuel as I had only taken > one can of the stuff. A nice show and we managed to see most of it. The > little one seems interested in engines already so there's hope for the > future. The B&S looked quite good but the BSA had suffered from it's storage > during our move and really needs some TLC. It's still the only BSA gen set I > have seen though. No doubt I will now be flooded by all who have seen lots > of them. Saw the trade stalls and bought a couple of books for son. Nothing > for me though, apart from a few glasses of cider. YF has no steam but a good > selection of engines & tractors etc. > Monday collection of wife meant dragging the caravan into Exeter traffic. > Onto a site and spent some time doing "normal" holiday stuff. > Bank Holiday weekend meant Honiton Hill Rally. I have been showing there for > many years and it's my favourite rally. Went with more petrol and next door > man (different) helped unload engines again. Ran engines on and off for both > days especially during the Grand Prix. An advantage to showing a 240V gen > set is that it powers the caravan. This means good TV and hot showers. > Bought a few bits, tyre levers and a new SS silencer for the BSA. Picked up > garden hose reel and some washers in the auction. It was just me and dog > this weekend as wife & son go to their event this weekend. The auction was > it's usual mix of rust & interest. Jaguar V12 engine & box went for £20. > Missed a number of small items due to not being there when I should have > been. My problem is that if I buy anything, it's with us for the rest of the > holiday or I have to make a special trip to take it home and allow for the > transport cost when buying. If I buy a large item, it may mean 2 round trips > home to fetch the trailer as well as a day out of the holiday. That happened > the year I bought the tractor. > The next few days were spent at the seaside doing more normal stuff. > Then it was off to Great Dorset. Having read the various accounts, I can > sympathise but I like the place. I am interested in a wide range of > engineering so I enjoy all of the sections from tanks to engines. If all you > want to look at is engines, it's not the place. Followed my normal routine > and spent the first day checking the traders area. Made a list of > interesting stuff and bought a plastic table & chairs for son and a Rotozip > tool for me. Second day was spent finishing off the traders and buying what > I had decided to get. More tool type stuff mainly, auto darkening welding > mask £40, mini drill with flex drive £15 plus other bits. Also spent time > looking at the various sections as I went back and forth. > Here's how I get in without any traffic problems. I always arrive at the > camping area between 20.00 and 08.00 when the gates are shut. This year we > got there at about 01.00 and drove straight into their temporary holding > area. Spent the night in the caravan (free) and entered the site at 08.00 > the following morning. Spent about an hour setting up and eating breakfast > before going into the show. > The engine section is always small compared to the rest. I have never wanted > to show there. I'm told that the organisers expect the engines to run almost > continuously and that means I would have to sit and watch the things for 5 > days come rain or shine. My caravan would have to be parked about 1/2 mole > away as well. No thanks. The family all came into the show in the evenings > (after they stopped charging) for the fair and to catch the end of the > traders opening. > The last weekend was off on normal holidays again. The caravan and car were > now very full of stuff which makes for more hassle. At least there was no > more lifting around of engines. Now do folks see why I show little engines. > Got back home Monday evening in time to unload some stuff and do shopping. > Just read the message again, didn't mean to rattle on for so long. Hope it's > not too boring. > > John > ps. found a good way to keep son under control. A set of reins and an > extending dog lead. It works a treat but gets funny looks. > >
Reply to
Arthur Griffin