A Hot Bulb Lister D!

I was at a bring and buy sale in Co.Monaghan yesterday , and a man from Northern Ireland was selling a lister D , that he made into a hot bulb engine !

It was running on parrafin , not a bother on it ,and according to him ,will run in good weather with out the blowlamp on the bulb. It ran so cold , that he did not even have water in the hopper ! It was very well done , alot of thought went into it i'd say . It must be the only hot bulb D in the world ,unless anyone else knows of one.

Photo's of it at :

He was looking for =80350 , if i was there to buy an engine, i would have had it for the novelty !

Regards, John Dungan Ireland

Reply to
jdungan100

wrote (snip):-

I was at a bring and buy sale in Co.Monaghan yesterday , and a man from Northern Ireland was selling a lister D , that he made into a hot bulb engine !

There was one converted into a hot air engine at the Stirling Engine Society's Kew Bridge bash a couple of years ago!

Reply to
Nick H

It's certainly a good engine for this sort of experimentation, though the fact that the hotbulb version was running without water is a little alarming. Was it running very slow, John? The very visible exhaust suggests a lot of paraffin was coming out unburnt. Now there's a thought - Listerspots!

Have you got a photo of the hot-air version you could post, Nick?

Anyone fancy making a two stroke semidiesel version for my amusement? ;-).

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

"Arthur G" wrote (snip):-

ISTR seeing pics (probably in one of DWE's books) of a rotary valved version used as a development mule by Roland Cross.

Don't think I have. Simple Gamma type though with displacer cyl parallel to power cyl and driven by a crank replacing the timing gear.

Er, not really!

Reply to
Nick H

That's a pretty neat conversion. That hot bulb Lister D would be a nice companion to Jim French's hot tube Suffolk Colt. 8-))

See ya, Arnie

Arnie Fero Pittsburgh, PA USA fero snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com

Reply to
hit_n_miss

Arthur ,

I thought the same , about it not having water in the hopper to cool it , but it was running so cold ,it did'nt need water . It was running a tad slower alright compared to your average 'D' ,and the owner said it was less powerfull than a petrol version .

The stirling one sounds very intersting too !

Why don't you Try a semi-diesel conversion yourself ! Regards, John

Reply to
jdungan100

snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net wrote > Why don't you Try a semi-diesel conversion yourself !

Probably because life is too short ;-), and I'm neither accomplished enough or bothered enough to try. Having said that, I was most impressed with the hot tube Suffolk as well as the Lister conversion. I'm sticking with my snail's pace restoration work, I think.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G