?Ebay Again - Bamford Trolley

Hi all, as we've temporarily lost usenet access at the office, I'm having a trial run with Google groups, so apologies if this post is a disaster in some way.

This particular auction has puzzled me, and I'm probably being obtuse:

(sorry if the link fails, you can always copy and paste it into your browser)

If you look at the bidding, the buyer has bidded against him/herself. How can this be so?

I would have thought that his second higher bid would only come into play if another person placed a bid.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

The first bid didn't meet the reserve, while the second one did and the amount then registers at the higher level.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

The way I see it is, that the bidder has to beat the reserve price not himself. The first bid of £150 did not meet the reserve but the second did. I stand to be corrected but it seems all is OK with this auction.

Unlike some others on Ebay, the other day I saw an auction for 2 corn mills and duly saved the link in 'my favourites' on my computer. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link the following day to find the listing had been changed to 1 corn mill and all mention of the second mill had gone, even the heading of the sale had changed! Needless to say I didn't bid.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

In effect the seller has a "bid" in place with the =A3175 reserve. If the buyers first bid was not enough to match the reserve he would have to bid again.

I'm still thinking that =A3175 is a lot for a couple of bits of timber and some cast iron... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Could it be that his first bid failed to make the reserve price? Sheeesh.

Reply to
Tom

"Tom" wrote >

Thank you Tom, for your constructive response ;-), I hadn't noticed the reserve.

-- Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

After your crack the other day, I reckon you were owed one..:-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Crack?? Take my advice Tom, just say no. ;-)

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

That's what I was trying to do, but apparently you believe in obnoxious net nannys..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

(I apologise to the rest of the group for this, and I have no intention of posting on this thread again, I just want to publicly say my piece.)

Tom, puzzled by your vehemence, I looked back through my recent posts. I've realised what's eating you, I think.

If it was my reference to a "pathetic post" in the spam thread, I was referring to the original spam post in the thread,

*not* yours. I was in agreement with what you were saying, and it seems I may have given you the opposite impression. I don't consider your posts to be pathetic, and if I did, I would either ignore them or argue with you off-group.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

To bring it back on topic ;o)) , I can only suppose that the buyer really, really wanted the wheels. Are they special in some way? They look pretty ordinary to me, but if original & genuine, Bamford wheels cannot be even seven for sixpence, let alone ten a penny.

The wood cannot be here or there.

Personally, I'd have waited until the auction ended with no bids & made him an offer - a risk, of course, 'pends how desperate for them you are.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Kim,

The whole trolley was genuine Bamford. The cast axle supports and turntable along with the wheels and axle are what the guy was after. I have seen them go for that price before, although I wouldn't pay that even though two of my sons and I have six Bamford engines between us.

Regards

Andy M

milestones snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Andy Milestone

That's what I was trying to do, but apparently you believe in obnoxious net nannys..

Tom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I presume the above remark referred to myself and a few others who posted on a recent thread.I find it rude and offensive and after due consideration have decided to stop posting to this Ng. Thank you to all the kind persons I have had the pleasure to communicate with through this group (you know who you are).

Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H.

We seem to be getting very thin skinned on this newsgroup. Perhaps this is the differing sense of humour between ourselves and our antipodean friends.

Lighten up folks. Life is to short for quick knee jerk reactions. Very often something written can seem totally different to what the person meant.

This is a totally different medium that we all have to get used to - the global village is here but without the nuances of everyday conversation.

In message , Mike.H. writes

Reply to
George Hendry

"Mike.H." wrote :-

Well, I've had a quick scan through the archives on Google and I'm lost! Suffice it to say that my toys will be staying firmly in the pram - or perhaps attic (see Pink Floyd 'The Trial').

Reply to
Nick H