Re: Lawnmower engine problems

I've got a two stroke flymow engine you can have for free if you wish. I threw the rest of it away, but like every horder, couldnt bring myself to chuck out a perfectly good engine.

Ivan

Had a day off on Tuesday as the plasterer was working at home. > Took the opportunity to have a go at my petrol Flymo (engine content). > Simple job I thought, just a carb clean out needed. A job I have done before > quite a few times. It's also a good opportunity to clear out all the bits of > grass etc that collect where they shouldn't. > The carb clean went OK till I came to replace it. I must have finished the > job 4 or 5 times. Each time, there was another bit left over that I should > have put back. > The final straw was when the throttle governor spring broke. I had already > dropped it in the grass once and considered myself lucky to have found it. > This time there was no chance of repairing it. Every time I bent a new end, > it snapped again. A new one was ordered and should be here today. > Then I noticed that the engine was loose. The mounting bolts are above the > fan so that and the blade had to come off. No matter how I tried, the centre > bolt would not shift. After over an hour trying, I finally had to resort to > the cutting gas to take the head off. Once that was done, the rest screwed > out by hand. Tightened the engine bolts OK and ordered a new blade bolt > yesterday. > Wondering why the old bolt was so tight, I remembered an incident about 2 > years ago when the blade hit something and stalled the engine in about 1/2 a > rev (literally). That must have given the bolt an almighty tweak. It's a > very fine thread on those as well. What did it hit? Well I was very glad I > was wearing steel toe caps that day. > Should have the thing working tonight then the lawn can get cut again. > > John > >
Reply to
adrenalin

Thanks Ivan. I am hoping that the spares that arrived last night will make it all well again. If not, I will take you up on your offer. Where about are you? I am in Oxfordshire.

John

Reply to
John Manders