Tallington Show

We trogged over to Tallington this morning, partially so we could have a look in Stamford on the way back for bookshops, but we hoped to see Brian Dominic in the announcer's cabin and have a look round the stalls.

The show was surprisingly quiet, a lot less than the spring show, but we found some goodies to spend a few bob on. I got a pair of 7" matching panel ammeters from an old Hartridge test bench for a fiver, Rita & Barbara found a few things in the china dept to keep them happy.

Met up with Brian, he was walking the engine line with a radio mike when we first found him, so cauught up with him a bit later while he was having a break. Nice to met another newsgroup face and have a chat..

The engines weren't anything special, but there was a nice small Blackstone horizontal O/C which was nicely turned out, a Phoenix engine which Brian reminded me about in our chat, the usual smaller stuff and a couple of Onan water-cooled sets which I have always liked but never found a complete unit to get involved in. Rustons seeme to be noticeable by their absence, but I did find a couple down the end of the line. A Crossley twin-shaft petrol-paraffin was stuttering a bit, it was driving a setup of three grinding mills via a set of lineshafting pulleys, but had insufficient load to keep it hot enough to run properly on paraffin. It would have been kinder to keep it on Petrol.

We popped into Stamford on the way back having seen one bookshop just above the turning of the A16 in the main street. We parked higher up and walked down through the pedestrianised High Street and back street by one of the Churches to get to the shop.

Quite a good selection of Literature subject matter and sports related, plus a fair bit of local history but nothing mechanical at all apart from a couple of school tect books and a load of late glossy car books and annuals.

It was a good shop though and worth a visit if you are looking for other subjects. There were a couple of other, smaller bookshops that we passed but they were shut.

We were out for about 5 hours or so, made a nice break for the day.

Peter

Peter A Forbes