Towbar Lighting Connections

We went out early this morning to move a load of sleepers from up the field round to No1 son's place, he and No2 son have appropriated one of the Nag shelters to do some work on their VW's during the winter, and Nova's and Escorts cannot take doubled-up sleepers in the back! We had to do it early as rain was forecast and I didn't want to go in the field with an empty van and loaded trailer on wet ground.

Anyway, it's the first trip out with the trailer on the new van, and the towball is almost exactly right, and if I fit a UK-made ball instead of the higher DIN/ISO standard type it will come down by an inch and be about perfect.

Plugged the electrics in.... oops!! there's a funny 13-pin thing, where there should be a 7-pin thingy, and even my maths says they ain't gonna work together.

Phoned dealer from whence the van was supplied: No, we do not carry that mating plug, and it isn't something that's in the parts inventory even....

So, we have a van that is nominally French, made in Luton, but for some reason they fit electrics that are not compatible with 99% of the UK trailers and caravans.

So after we delivered the sleepers and played with No1 Granddaughter, I went hunting for a 13-pin plug. No luck at a number of caravn dealers or car accessory shops of Auto-Electricians.

Finally I called in at Halfords at Wellingborough to pick up some screenwash on the way home, and lo and behold - a 13 to 7 pin adapter! Costs £14.99 but it worked out of the box and I had lights again :-)) Made in Italy BTW

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

That 13 pin thingy has almost been the new standard for about 5 years lots of new caravans have them fitted.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I believe that the 13 pin arrangement is a German standard that has been around for a few years now. UK went to 2x7 pin sockets at about the same time but the Germans had to be different. Be careful if you intend changing the tow ball. New vehicles (later than S reg, I think) have to have a gold coloured ball to a higher standard by law. See

John

Reply to
John Manders

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:49:05 +0100, "Campingstoveman" wrote: eter

Did your van come with it fitted?

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

How about a run down on the extra connections? Presumably a couple would be for turning on the Teasmade and indicating when it would be suitable to pull into a layby for a cuppa? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Found it:

Belts & braces it appears..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

No because I fitted my own bar and electrics.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I couldn't find it now either. However, try the towsure website and look at the section selling tow balls.

Hope the link works but no promises.

John

Reply to
John Manders
[%X]

You may have helped a little morer if you had posted the more direct lonk to the site's page on Eurpean Type Approval of towbars.

Paul E. Bennett

Reply to
Jack Watson

Don't electric brakes require a huge current, and thus a dedicated plug with extra-large pins ?

I have seen them, but they're rare.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We don't have any electric braking systems on caravans and trailers, Jack, but we do have (or did have) the Telma Retarder for trucks and coaches.

I know that electric brakes are popular in markets where US-sourced kit is used, but over here the over-run brake is king.

I have often pondered on producing a simple electric brake, but vested interests would make sure it never took off :-((

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

Our van has a black one - don't know about a gold-coloured one.

I couldn't find any reference to this on the site you gave the link to, could you advise exactly where it says this please?

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

Peter, John is correct you need to make sure it is gold coloured this identifies its CE mark I believe.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

No.

The CE mark has to be affixed to the item or stamped onto it, you cannot specifiy CE compatibility by colour alone.

The information that you sent me off-list points at :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ There are no specific regulations covering the ball bracket itself other than the requirements of EC Directive 94120 EC.

However, this Directive, together with BSI and ISO (International Standards Organisation) standards, specifies the dimensions of the ball, the clearances around the ball and the range of permissible heights when mounted on a laden vehicle.

The CE mark is a separate thing altogether, and signifies compliance with the relevant safety standard, whatever that might be in this case.

As I was looking round the shops on Saturday, I noticed Zinc plated, Zinc & Colour (like pass Cadmium) black painted etc etc, and apart from the 50mm size stamping, none of them had a CE marking.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

I should have writ EC :-))

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It's a minefield I know, and not helped by the confusion amongst the users like you and I who need to know what is right and wrong.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

The CE Mark may be affixed to packaging, or included in the manual (fitting instructions).

The CE Mark is required where there are ANY Euronorm (EN) Standards that apply, not just those that are safety related.

Beware, because the CE Mark _could_ be referring to the standard applied for the packaging, not the product itself. There should be a "Statement of Compliance" with the product - you may need to check the Euronorms List to discover what each standard refers to.

-- MatSav

Reply to
MatSav

Sheesh! All this for a towball.

Sounds like a lot of Eurobollocks to me..........

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

The CE mark may only be affixed in order to declare that the product meets the standards mentioned in **ALL** the applicable directives for the product. If you suspect that it does not then let your local Trading Standards Officer know about it.

Reply to
Paul E. Bennett