webshots hits

I hadn't added anything to webshots for some months and the hit rate settled to a fairly steady background level. A couple of days ago I announced that I had put up some pics of the Demon water motor and bang - several hundred additional hits! Now unless people have some sort of heads-up for new stuff arriving in their area of interest, then all those hits must have been as a result of my posting on this NG. Come on, who are you all?

Reply to
Nick H

I was two (assuming they count each visit separately), Nick, I had a quick shufty at the thumbnails at work and looked at the pictures at home.

Interesting little gadget. Now all you need is a contemporaneous small power engine driving a little pump to drive the water motor for a very nice display...

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

"Arthur G" wrote

shufty at the thumbnails at work and looked

Yes, I guess a proportion will be multiples. I still think it gives some insight into the ratio of lurkers to contributors though.

power engine driving a little pump to drive the

Then on to an old open frame dynamo for a good demonstration of the losses associated with power conversion - X Kilo Joules worth of petrol in, one pea lamp out!

Reply to
Nick H

Its about the only measure of NG reading we've got. I won't get individual stats on the new album I put up last night, as the count is only available on the first ?three albums unless you sign up fully to webshots, but I do get a weekly report on how many hits I've had altogether.

My overall views figure always shoots up when I post a new album on webshots. It would be interesting when the NG post drops out of sight to post another album without NG announcement and see if it produces hits by being found in some other way

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Nick, The same happens to me, mention the pics and this morning I have had 250 hits this week.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

One thought from a website illiterate. Does the counter register every page as a hit? If so, I clocked about a dozen visits as I looked at a variety of pictures. Very good they were too I might add.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I must admit that as soon as I returned to work on Monday I surfed around Webshots to see who had posted pictures of Astle. I think I managed to cover the ususal suspects just by using the friends list from the Webshots front page. I have probably done this a couple of times since plus returns to look at those people who have posted pictures in more detail. It must all add up as I can't assume I am the only one doing this. It takes a very small amount of time given a high speed connection.

Nice pics from everyone so far. I look forward to any more.

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

I'm not too up on these things either, but I would imagine that succesive viewings from the same IP address in a single session would only count once. Could be wrong though.

Reply to
Nick H

Depends on the counter, the one we used to use for our home web pages only clocked up an initial visit and not any movement internally within the site itself.

Gave that away in the end as site visit figures are so unreliable and pretty meaningless unless you are commercially orientated. We don't have any counters at all now.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

If we really wish to know the number of readers, I have removed all but one picture in my Temporary folder. If we all view it once I will be able to report the hits in a weeks time! I had the weeks total for each folder only 30 minutes ago. See

dave croft

Nice pic Dave, that one might well find its way on to my desktop background, but now I have to resist looking at it again for at least a week!

Reply to
Nick H

But for a moment expected a scantily clad young lady after reading your comments :-))

Martin P p.s. van sitting on drive all quiet, by now it would be chirping so looks like garage has fixed it.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

To the hard core old iron enthusiast the effect is much the same ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

succesive

As I understand it hits are not the same as visits, hits are usually everything that has been requested from the server, an example would be: someone looks at one page with 10 thumb-nailed photos and clicks on four to see the large versions going back to the start page to view each selection, this if my maths are correct would produce 19 hits from one visit. See an example of last month's stats for my tractor site below:

Bandwidth used: Visits: Pages Viewed : Hits:

KBytes: 1946028 6,700 30,761

149,108
Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Who needs scantily clad women when you've got pictures like that!

(In retrospect, I'm thinking that it's no wonder my wife doesn't understand me).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

Correct a "hit" is normaly taken to mean the downloading of a given file. "Visits" are taken to be a count of the number of different IP address's and/or the same IP address's separated by time(*).

Image files are not normally counted as hits, so that one "visit" would produce a total of 9 hits to the site, 5 on the start page and one each for the large version pages.

(*) The period of time that needs to elapse before requests from a given IP address are considered another visit. This normally a configuration setting in the program that is analyising the webservers log file. What files are included in the "hit" counter is also configurable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think webshots refers to 'Views' for each album , but whethr this means visits to individual pictures, in which case a single visit could eisily clock ou a fair number of view, or for visits to the album I don't know.

Perhaps there is not after all a vast unseen audience hanging on our every word ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

I would agree - it's now the background on my desktop! (Makes a change from the Lisbon tram!)

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

May I suggest that one of the group with webshots premium membership account contact them for the definition of what they class as a 'hit'. I've tried, but as I only have a free membership account I can only access the online help, premium membership account holders can get that step further.

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
John Rogers

Hi John, I found the attached in the Webshots Premium questions section. ___________________________________________________________________________________________ How are my view and download statistics calculated? Each time an album is selected in the Webshots Community, it counts as a single views. Total views are not scored on a per picture basis, but as an album as a whole. When an image is downloaded into the Webshots Desktop software, it is tallied as a download. When viewing your own images through the My Photos area, this will not count towards the total, although any pictures downloaded will.

Views/Day is the number of times an album has been viewed divided by the total number of days the album has been in existence. For example, if an album was created 10 days ago and it didn't get any views for 9 days but then got 100 views on the 10th day, the Views/Day would be 10. ___________________________________________________________________________________________

Dave Croft

Reply to
dave croft