009 engine turntable

It transpires that I need a turntable to access the engine shed (It's John Turner's fault - he should have sold me an additional set of points). Eventually I hope to run engines up to and including 2-6-2T what size should I make my turntable, 262T +Greenwich couplings = ???

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

It can still be arranged! ;-)

Most narrow gauge operations kept costs to an absolute minimum, so *why* do you need to turn a tank locomotive? Assuming there was a real *need* then I would guess that the turntable provided would be just long enough to accomodate the total wheelbase of the largest loco, with the rest 'overhanging' the decking.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I changed my plans up at the quarry end and added a headshunt at the passenger interchange (to serve as a carriage siding) which has left me in the unenviable situation of having a two road engine shed with a side road for coaling but only one road in. My initial plan was to have a fan of pointwork leading in to that area but I no longer have enough points so I thought that some form of semi-roundhouse arrangement would serve.

Yup, but at the moment I only have a single 040T quarry engine for testing purposes, hence I was asking for the length of the larger engine ... "Backwoods" never answer emails!

While you're here though, it's getting close to that time of the year again when by bosses pass out the slush fund. You do DCC don't you? I'm looking for for something that can initially deal with around 6-8 009 engines and deal with a few accessory switches for coach lighting and the like. Later I'd like to bring the 00 side of the layout over to DCC but that's long term. Fancy quoting me for something suitable, I'll be ordering shortly before Christmas - just like last year.

Reply to
Chris Wilson