6'x2' + 6ish' x 1ish'

Still playing around with ideas for my new layout.

I've got space at one end of around 6'x2' to which I can allocate additional space of 6 - 8' x 1' (18" dropping to 1' or thereabouts) approx running off one of the long sides to make a "T".

Question is, what to do with it?

I do have a turntable I'd like to use so I was thinking of a compactish MPD ... 4 road shed, coaling stage, ash, space for a breakdown train and a couple of "spare sidings", that was plan "A", however then I thought of a revised track layout for my main station to which I could add the turntable as part of a minor engine servicing facility leaving the space above for some form of industrial works/sidings ... question is what?

Gasworks ... coal, tar, acid, naphtha and coke traffic ... plenty of variety ... Builders yard (s) ... coal, bricks, stone, limestone, tiles, pipes, sand .. again plenty of variety ... Military/navel ... bit of a cliché but an excuse to run a few "exotic" types together with more mundane stock but the area's a bit small unless I pretend that most of the depot/base is just out of view Engineering works ... coal/coke, various bolster wagons, metals etc ...

To be set up so that I can run two periods interchangeably ... 1930s and early BR/green diesels without to many anachronisms. Location will be 'up North'.

Anyway, back to the point of this post ... anyone got any better ideas/comments on my choices based on the space available?

Wagon repair works? Small Docks?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

This is a trivial point but I've seen a lot of small layouts that were ruined by trying to cram in as much as possible into the available space. Some of the best small layouts have a very simple track plan. Less is often more.

On the subject of naval bases, the person who set the competition to win a Class 50 in Hornby's club magazine seemed to think that HMS Defiance was named after a warship!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Sorry, Your point being? If you think that HMS Defiance has only ever been a training establishment, I am afraid that you are mistaken.

"Defiance was the name of a succession of distinguished wooden hulled warships which were based at Devonport until 1956"

No doubt the training establishment would have become involved with the naming ceremony of the loco.

Regards,

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

The loco was named after the training ship. I doubt very much if the person who set the competition even knows what a "training ship" is?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

You may well be right, but this has no relevance to the fact that Class

50 locos became known as "Warships" and were all given names that had also been given to Royal Navy warships at some time or other. No doubt this policy annoyed aficionados of the diesel-hydraulic locos numbered from D600 to D604 and D800 to D870.

The Hornby "Competition" was hardly intended to be mind-stretching with the other alternative answers being A) a submarine and B) a spaceship.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

I've got the whole garage to play with. :-) Mine all mine I tell you.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

But aside from that Hornby's club magazine is an indispensible aid to intelligent adult modellers is it? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Defiance was

As well as being a ship and a training establisment, Defiance was also a railway station. There was a halt named "Defiance Platform" that was served by Plymouth local services.

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

I've got to say that the large floaty thing seen in the pictures at:

looks pretty much like a warship to me, albeit an elderly one converted to a secondary role.

The Navy has never seen any difference between a shore training establishment (or other unit) and a ship from the point of view of administration. Even when the Defiance establishment was moved ashore it was still His/Her Majesty's Ship Defiance - what the Navy calls a "stone frigate". For all purposes apart from the float, move, fight ones it was a warship.

Then...

..a nd now

ttp://

ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

With life-belts posted next to the lawns. If somebody ignores the "keep of the grass" signs it's "man overboard", he gets thrown a lifebels and then put on a charge.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I was in the RAF but had occasion to call into RN Air Station Yeovilton (HMS Heron?) where the regulator on the gate instructed me to go to the bridge (which was a glassed-in verandah in front of an old WW2 Nissen hut) and contact the officer of the watch. I half expected to find that he had a pair of binoculars strung around his neck but I was disappointed. The 'bus from the camp into town was referred to as a "liberty boat".

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

A leading A/C once told me a navy plane was parked temporarilly in his hanger at Gaydon. He was confronted one night by a pair of Navy personel carrying an inspection lamp. Apparently it was their job to inspect the hanger for leaks in case the airbase sank. I assume that was also routine practice at Yeovilton?

Slightly more on topic, I was reading a book about modern entrepeneurs in the 1980's. One chapter was the story of a half-cast Egyptian from the notorious Toxteth district of Liverpool. One way or another he eventually formed the consortium which bought Gleneagles hotel from British Rail. At the time he took over the hotel was still run according BR's rulebook which was chiefly concerned with ferries. Each night it was the task of one member of staff to visit each bedroom in the hotel and check that that it's 'porthole' was closed in case the hotel sank during heavy seas.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The correct term is 'training ship'. Even if it is a boy's school 100 miles inland it is still a 'training ship'.

(kim)

Reply to
kim