A word to the wise

There has been some debate on this very forum recently about ordering goods on line and finding too late the goods are not in stock & the money has been taken from your account. You could always take them to the small claims court to get your money back !

Jersey ..... part of the UK ? Well yes but with their equivalent of the small claims court you have to attend court in person in Jersey . Financially a no no :-(

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

When buying on line always and i mean always us a credit card. Not a debit/credit card but an actual credit card. you are than assured restitution if a vendor or seller try and run with your money.. It's saved my but 3 times now.

Reply to
mike mueller

Well no.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Jersey is a Crown dependency, and is not part of the UK. Just a word to the wise :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

That only applies if the amount is greater than £100.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

May actually vary from card provider to card provider.

HSBC do not seem to have that restriction. We had a card transaction reversed when one customer complained that an item supplied was damaged on receipt, even though at the time of the sale we made it clear that we would not accept responsibility for any damage caused in transit. This was because the model in question was a Lima class 67 and these had a habit of self-destructing in the post. Despite our best efforts to make the parcel bomb-proof, it inevitably dismantled itself in the post.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Paul Boyd" wrote

From Wikepedia:-

The Crown Dependencies are possessions of The Crown in Right of the United Kingdom, as opposed to overseas territories or colonies of the United Kingdom. They comprise the Channel Island bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey and the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea.

Being independently administered jurisdictions, none forms part of the United Kingdom or of the European Union. All three Crown dependencies are members of the British-Irish Council. From 2005, each Crown dependency has a Chief Minister as head of government. However, as they are possessions of the British Crown they are not sovereign nations in their own right, and the power to pass legislation affecting the islands rests ultimately with their own legislative assemblies, with the assent of the Crown (Privy Council).

Reply to
John Turner

Which is what I said, isn't it?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Depends on the bank and the service. American Express has no minimum as well as VISA and MC here in the USA.

Reply to
mike mueller

There are two totally different issues.

There is protection afforded by paying by credit card if a retailer goes bust, which is where the =A3100 minimum transaction is relevant (set by law in the UK). In this case the refund comes from the credit card company.

Then there's the issue of chargebacks which happen in the case of a dispute with the retailer over the contract to supply. In this case the refund is taken from the trader. How and when that happens depends on the credit providers dispute resolution process.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

perhaps, but you didnt quote an authoritive source.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

lovely place to visit, about an hours flight from East Midlands. nip over and have a word. (but dont think berjerac still works there). Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Did I need to? Not sure JT did either. Wikipedia is infamous for inaccuracies, although not in this case. Besides, I don't think an authoritative source is needed for that any more than I need to provide an authoritative source if I say that France is part of Europe.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Although the bits of France in the Americas and Africa aren't in Europe :-)

(Reunion etc are considered _part of_ France, sending MPs to Paris. The Channel Islands don't send MPs to Westminster)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

I hope its accurate, have just paid £128.99 for the leather bound set of CD's - was post free !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Indeed but you didn't include the Isle of Man.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Oh dear!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Nor did you.

Reply to
David Cantrell

[looks at thread again]

Errm, must read attributions properly in future.

Reply to
David Cantrell

Was thinking after had sent comment 'did that need a smiley - shirley not'

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon