Ontracks - starting to get fairly unimpressed

I am starting to get fairly unimpressed with Ontracks. My order dates back to Nov 23rd 2008 (over six weeks ago) and four of the items I ordered have still not been received.

Has anybody else had similar problems with obtaining Farish products from them?

Martin Nicholson Daventry, UK

Reply to
ukastronomy

My sister tried to order me some Bachmann N wagons from On Tracks in early December which are shown as `Release Date: May/June 2008' and they are still apparently out of stock.

Chasing this up by phone is on my todo list.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On 06/01/2009 11:29, ukastronomy said,

Not Farish specifically, but I wouldn't use them again unless I had no option.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

For anyone who buys PC equipment via the web this is an age old problem :-(

Companies place an advert for an item, at agood price, but do not have it in stock at that time.

Some like MAPLINS do give you a 'live' stock count but most do not.

The main gripe I have is they still take your money :-$

What do you do ? Ring to check it is in stock & available then place your order but keep a note of the name, date & time of when you called.

If it is not with you within say 10 days phone up and complain. If no joy contact your local Trading Standards.

If they have taken your money also contact your bank.

I was going to get some Bachmann Underground Ernie stuff for no 1 son from them just prior to Christmas ... I am pleased I did not order any !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Too true!, Tk Maxx are almost giving it away now, 22 quid for the UE set and 7 quid each for the trains.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Suppliers are not allowed to process a credit or debit card unless they have the goods in stock. The customer should be told this and if they agree the transaction should take place when they are ready for despatch. this is written in the conditions by the card companies and businesses that do this are breaking the law.

Reply to
intercityman2000

That's not true. There's no such law, and it isn't usually a condition imposed by the card companies. Otherwise, it would be impossible to take credit card orders for items that need to be built to order, for example. And it's a perfectly legitiamte business model to act as an intermediary between manufacturer and customer in such a way that the intermediary handles the card handling, shipping, etc, but doesn't order the goods from the manufacturer until after the customer has placed the order with them. It's not particularly common for low-value consumer transactions, but it's very common in the business world or for high-value consumer transactions (such as when buying a car, for example).

As for processing the card, that is always done at the time the customer places the order unless the vendor stores card details in order to process them later - which is actually something that's usually against the conditions of the card companies as it's insecure. What most people think of as deferred processing is actually what'sknown in the trade as "deferred capture", whereby the card is processed at the time you place the order but it doesn't show on your statement until the time that the goods are dispatched. All that's doing, though, is hiding it from you - the money has been taken from your card at the time you placed the order.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

The law only requires "a reasonable expectation to supply" or some such wording - no distinction is made between card, cheque or cash. i.e you must not be attempting to defraud the customer, that's all that's required. Our card processor has nothing at all to say on the subject. How a business deals with transactions should really be in the firm's terms and conditions.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

"Mark Goodge" wrote

Well it's certainly one of the conditions my card company (HSBC) insists on for CNP (cardholder not present transactions). Payment cannot be debited until the goods are READY TO BE SHIPPED.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That would be specific to the type of contract you have with them. It isn't generally applicable to all card handler contracts.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

I have now become annoyed with Ontracks. My order dates back to Nov

23rd 2008 (over eleven weeks ago) and four of the items I ordered have still not been received.

Has anybody else had similar problems with obtaining Farish products from them?

Martin Nicholson Daventry, UK

Reply to
ukastronomy

So cancel the order and buy elsewhere!

Reply to
Jerry

You still have not stated whether or not you have actually paid for the missing items. If you have not, what is the problem? Just cancel and attempt to buy elsewhere.

No, not interested in N gauge, but perhaps they are not a stocked item yet.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

I think the key issue - particularly in light of the current economic situation - is that a well known retail outlet cannot get supplies of a product from a well known supplier even after three months.

The implications of this are "interesting" to say the least.

Martin Nicholson Daventry, UK

Reply to
ukastronomy

The real implication, as you STILL have not listed what you ordered (which would then prove or disprove the above), is that you seem to have a vendetta again this retailer - now you seem to be suggesting that one or more company might have financial problems...

PUT UP OR F*CK OFF!

Reply to
Jerry

No one's asked him to.

Oh, come off it! Three posts is hardly a vendetta.

Didn't take you long to revert to type, did it.

Why not just hold your breath and count to ten if you have nothing meaningful to contribute.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

.au... from a "Kevin

Try reading that message and show me where he asked the OP what the items were.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Try dropping dead.

Reply to
Jerry

On 17/02/2009 14:47, Jerry said,

I think what you meant to say was "Sorry, Kevin Martin didn't ask what the items were."

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Faced with reality, Jerry just isn't capable of that kind of humility.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq