Bachmann 9F evening Star Problems

"gary" wrote

That's a fault that should have been rectified by your supplier by exchanging the model. A motor which rattles and has been 'secured by tape' has the potential for failure at some time in the future.

Easily solved - get rid of the points and build some proper track.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not an easy thing to do on a 8' x 6' layout with a double loop and a third track on one side.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Then design a different layout.

I'm going to have to do just that myself, having moved from a flat which provided a 20 x 11 layout room to just having two walls in a smallish bedroom. I know I can't accomodate a continuous run, so it will have to be a terminus to fiddle yard jobbie. Not idea, but better than trying to cram Euston into the space where Mallaig wouldn't fit.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news:4598ef2c$0$4766$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

I'm more concerned about the apparent move by a certain manufacturer of pre-installing chips in its new models. Fortunately for me at any rate so far they?re only on models that I have no desire to purchase, but if this becomes a trend I don?t at all look forward to having to pay an inflated purchase price simply to rip out a little black box that prevents me from using my purchase.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

If it annoys you so much why not pull out a couple of wheels along their axles a bit on each loco so that they won't go through the points. :-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Sorry? How does a DCC chip prevent you from using a loco?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

On 01/01/2007 21:10, Paul Matthews said,

My first reaction was - if you're running DC, the chip will prevent that running. My second reaction was - "Will it?"

So, are you implying that DCC chipped locos will run on DC layouts? (A genuine question.)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Some will, some won't, but one thing for sure is that a chipped loco runs differently on DC than an unchipped loco.

My general experience is that chipped locos operating on DC are far less controllable than an unchipped loco.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Paul Matthews wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A chipped engine may well work with dc - but as I understand it only for a given value of "work", bit of a mule not one thing nor t'other. To get the best out of a motor running on a dc supply it needs to be connected directly to that supply any little black box in the way - as I understand it will bugger up the dc supply to the extent that it will not perform as (a) one would expect and (b) in the same way as a non chipped motor.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Turner" wrote in news:45997670$0$4838$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

That's certainly my understanding.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I have a mix of locos which include Bachmann and Athearn DCC which I run on DC. They all exhibit the characteristic of slow acceleration and deceleration (they all of course have flywheels but this is additional to that effect). Only one exhibited any reluctance to start and eventually I removed its chip - lo! it moveth again. On balance I find that "no chip" gives better control.

The most interesting thing is the willingness to describe 100 GBP as "cheap". As an OAP with a state pension of 124 GBP per week I don't think so. On the other hand a Fleichmann / Marklin loco costs around

350=E2=82=AC here at Dijon - that probably explains why model shops are rar= er than hens teeth or prefer the remote control car and aircraft market.

Does a 9F provide sound effects , lights or other moving parts other that wheels?

Reply to
Sailor

On 02/01/2007 06:25, Sailor said,

I wasn't trying to imply that £100 isn't a lot of money - it is. The point I was making was the quality of the model you get for that amount of money.

QED

Not unless you fit them yourself :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

The layout is designed and built. I know I have squeezed a lot into a small space, but that was my choice. My other stock (new Hornby Black 5 included) run fine over the 2nd radius curved points, after I made some adjustments to locos and track. I anticipated possible problems with the

9F, but if I am unable to work them out by further adjustments it will still make an excellent static display model for the £79.50 I paid (less VAT, plus Canadian taxes and postage). I'm sure it won't come to that.
Reply to
MartinS

Hornby claims not.

Reply to
MartinS

Yes. There is an option to turn off DCC, and I agther they may not perform as well as a native DC loco, but they will work.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

On 02/01/2007 23:18, Paul Matthews said,

If you haven't got a DCC setup, how do you turn off DCC on the decoder? I've never seen any little switches or anything on decoders, and you obviously can't set the CVs with a DC setup.

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how this all works!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Clearly the designers gave no thought to 'legacy planning'. Why didn't they fit a dongle or removable blanking piece in the circuit to reinstate the model to simple DC operation?

I have no plans to convert my extensive loco stud to DCC, and would object most strongly if I am prevented from buying any of the new models because it won't run satisfactorily on my layout.

Selling the DCC chip as an optional plug in extra would have been a good marketing ploy as well as giving us non-DCC wallahs a break.

Reply to
jasper_goat

You don't turn DCC off, DC control is normally also on so that the loco can run on DC if no DCC signal is present, and it is DC control that can be turned off. Turning off DCC was a typo on my part, it should have read DC.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

On 03/01/2007 12:33, Paul Matthews said,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Easily done - I've had to check my posts very carefully on this subject, and usually have to correct at least one reference!

Reply to
Paul Boyd