Bachmann Collectors Club Small Prairie

Postie has just delivered 5553 with the sloping tank top and very nice it looks too. I know very little about GWR locos (they generally seem much the same) but as this particular specimen has operated on (and suffered at!*) the Churnet Valley line, I had to have one. :-)

Dave Westerman

  • no fault of the railway I hasten to add.
Reply to
David Westerman

While we're discussing the BCC I have another question. This year the freebie was a Kenworthy wagon - was there a freebie on offer last year? If so, what was it?

Reply to
Tessy

operated on (and suffered at!*)

Ouch! All I can say is am glad I dropped doing Guard duty that day! But then it may not have happened then?

I'll look forward to seeing one Dave!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

In message , Tessy writes

The Boston Deep Sea Fishing and Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood, Tel. No. 263 Trawler owners, fish merchants, curers, cod liver oil producers & refiners. No. 86. For repair advise the above company Empty to Earl Fitzwilliams Elsecar Colliery Tare 7-7-2 Load 12 tons Body blue with black strapping, lettered in white.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Forgive me if I've got the wrong impression of the BCC freebies here, but a wagon in the same livery was on general release, so to speak. Was this a differently numbered wagon exclusive to the club, or was there a surplus of the non-club model?

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Snipped

I suppose that it was easier to allow normal packing procedures to take place rather than explain to the workers why the forms are not needed in this particular case!

Does this make the guarantee worthless and unenforceable? :~}

The continuing theme of the free collectors club wagons is that they represent a wagon builders "demonstration" vehicle. In 1997, it was Charles Roberts, Wakefield, in 1998 it was "Standard" Wagon (Cambrian Wagon Co), in

1999 S J Claye Ltd, in 2001 Derbyshire Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd., and in 2002 Marcroft Wagons Ltd.

Sorry to disagree with John Sullivan on this point, but the Boston Deep Sea Fishing and Ice Co Ltd was on general sale!

There was no wagon for 2000 during the changeover from the contracted out Bachmann Times, and the start up of the in-house Bachmann Collectors Club.

The 2002 7 plank wagon was lettered white on black and read

Marcroft Wagons Ltd Coalville Cardiff Radstock Swansea Cc 761 *

7-2 Tare 6-10-0 Load 12 Tons

On another point regarding the enclosures with the small prairie, there is now a slip of paper showing what to remove from the PCB, and where to solder the red, black, orange and grey wires of a DCC decoder. The Bachmann website page states that a DCC socket is fitted!

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

Why would you need one? The product is supplied direct by the manufacturer so they are the 'vendor' and thus under consumer protection legislation you have 6 years in England and Wales or 5 years in Scotland in which to claim for any manufacturing faults. Normally any manufacturer's guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights against the vendor and can be useful as the vendor often does not have the expertise to repair the product (which does not apply in this case) and you may have to go to the small claims court to exert your statutory rights against the vendor.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan P Dawes"

Sorry Alan,

I was not really serious! Perhaps you missed the "smiley" after my comment. Thanks for the lesson though.

Dave

Reply to
David Westerman

In message , David Westerman writes

Well that's the one they sent me. I wouldn't have bought it, because the prototype was not based in South Wales. And now you come to mention it, it wasn't last year's as I have the Marcroft one, so it must be the one they sent me after I joined, so I guess from what you are saying that the official one had run out and they selected something else instead.

Sorry to confuse everybody.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , John Sullivan writes

OK. In order to avoid getting bored stiff by two teams that I have no interest in slugging it out in the rain, I have been through my wagon collection and the associated paperwork. It is pretty obvious that my memory is playing tricks on me!

The following wagons were sent to me by the Bachmann Collectors Club:

James Kenworthy and Son Marcroft Wagons Derbyshire Carriage and Wagon Boston Deep Sea Fishing

You have nothing in your list for 2000, and in your original post which I snipped you say

so could it be that in 2000 Bachmann just sent out an ordinary wagon from their catalogue.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Checking my back copies of the magazines, it looks as though the S J Claye wagon was announced in the last issue of Bachmann Times, cover dated December 1999, but which was not actually sent out until the end of March

2000.

Nothing happened for 6 months until the in-house Bachmann Collectors Club started up in September 2000. The S J Claye wagon was then sent out with the magazine or under separate cover in a box labelled "37-175 1999 Bachmann Times 9 plank wagon" so it was actually 1999 when no wagon was sent out. Incidentally the number 37-175 was also used for a "7 Plank Wagon with Coke Rail in BR Grey".

Bachmann were embarrassed by the under-performance of RDP Publications who administered Bachmann Times, and sent out a free BR suburban coach at one time, as compensation for the late appearance of the magazine. Perhaps your Boston Deep Sea Fishing wagon was another such item.

When you take account of the members free wagon, free catalogue, 4 magazines a year and the opportunity of visiting the factory and buying exclusive items, it's well worth being a member.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman