Bachmann EZ DCC

I see Bachmann has named it's new DCC system 'Dynamis', and then goes on to give a dictionary definition of the word i.e. adj. characterized by force of personality, ambition and energy; of or concerned with energy or forces that produce motion. Has anybody got a dictionary that actually includes this word ?

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

In message , Keith J Patrick writes

Try Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The message from "Keith J Patrick" contains these words:

'Dynamis' (pronounced 'doonamis') is a Greek word with the basic meaning of power. It is presumably the root word behind words like dynamite and dynamic and probably even dynamometer.

Hope this helps

Reply to
T Alan Anderson

"T Alan Anderson" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk...

words:

Just to confuse the issue its a theological term meaning basically "1) The power of (a) God or 2) Proof of (a) Gods existence" Now where's Peter Denny when you need him :) Its classical greek, and has had the theological/philosophical meaning for well over 2000 years Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Thanks folks. I wondered if it was a word that Bachmann made up. I have the Concise English which I thought had all the words I would ever need !!!!!

Keith

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

"Keith J Patrick" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

The full Oxford dictionary costs here over £600 and is c26 volumes or so... if memory serves me correctly...... 8P beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I have the two-volume tiny-print edition, which I got for $26 when i subscribed to Folio Editions about 30 years ago. No longer subscribe, but the OED is fine for 99%+ my queries, even though it lacks the recent additions and updates.

I've been hinting I'd like a sub to the digital edition, but may have to treat myself. :-)

Reply to
Wolf K

Try this link...and it's free!

video guy