Bass malt vans

If it works

should take you to a pge showing two hoppers marked malt (bass logo) van These look like standard BR grain hoppers but with an extra bay (so the access hatch is offset by one bay toward one end.

Anyone happen to know about these hoppers, wheelbase or length over headstocks would be handy

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Interesting stuff. I'd always assumed that all such traffic went by the standard hopper design (as modelled by Wrenn/Dublo) by later [1] BR days.

David E. Belcher

[1] Similar pre-nationalisation hoppers existed early on in the BR era, of course; the GW 'Grano' design formed the basis of the BR wagon.
Reply to
David E. Belcher

There were three slightly different designs of the standard grain hopper - diags 270(40 produced) which was based on the LMS design, which was very similar to the GW version that David refers to, 271(575 produced) and 275 (100 produced). There were only minor differences between each. Having compared this picture to those I have in books, I don't think that there are extra bays (both these and the standard wagon having 7 'bays'), but it does appear that the position of the access hatch could be lower or higher, or indeed non-central to the length.

The alternative might be that these are actually private owner hoppers of a design based on the standard BR one, although I don't know if such things existed. The Bass Malt markings I think indicate only the traffic to which they were allocated.

Hope this helps,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Agreed. This is the first I have seen of these, No I have checked the drawing for the BR standard type the number of ribs is correct (suggesting they are a variant on the standard BR 10' 6" wheelbase design, the main differences being the off-set entry hatch (never seen that before) and the full length walkway. I think thay are based on the LMS type as the ribs extend over the roof, from memory (I could be wrong) the BR design had an almost smooth roof with flat section not T section strapping over the top. These might be internal use only re-builds perhaps. Pity the photo isn't in colour.

Reply to
Mike

I'd hazard a guess that the usual BR fitted goods stock livery was used, with a white & red panel carrying the Bass branding. Then again, it's possible that a PO livery was used, but wasn't the Bass (industrial locos, at least) livery a sort of reddish-brown anyway?

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Don't see why not - one example of this practice that springs to mind is the mini-MGR hoppers built for APCM's gypsum traffic, based on BR's standard HAA coal hopper but one bay shorter, though they used the same loading/unloading system.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Guys just read this and I followed the link to see an ex LMS wagon I have a photo of one in LMS grey taken at the Midland Railway Centre on

23/3/04

where would you like me to place it ???? for you to compare

-- Regards Gray

OMWB Ratio platforms yards of 'em

Graham