Buying odd kits - need the paints

Ok I have a cheap LNWR coach kit to paint - for my preserved section

What can I paint it in without buying ready mixed paints from say Precision?

Reply to
Martin

Rust?

Then cover it with a 00 scale dirty tarpaulin ;-)

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

crazy-horse-12002 wrote:-

Wood doesn't rust.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If it's in its undercoat, what you like (and if it's preserved, maybe it's pretending to be something else). Otherwise, Departmental black or green, maybe maroon (weathered Crimson Lake would do). It really depends where you decide it was when withdrawn, and what happened to it.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

"Mark Dickerson" wrote: [Something apparently top-posting. Eek.]

Hmmm.

M.

Reply to
Mark Dickerson

Martin wrote:-

"Upper panels were a mixture called 'flake white', white lead tinted with a small amount of ultramarine which looked greenish under varnish. Lower panels, raised mouldings on the upper panels, and carriage ends were a dark purple brown, called variously 'dark claret, 'chocolate' and 'lake'. This was built up from layers, the undercoat being 'body brown', a mix of 10lb drop black and

91/2lb of indian red. The top coat was one coat of carmine red lake folowed by carmine mixed with varnish. The finsih was four coats of varnish. Carmine is a true lake, made from cochineal dye on an an alumina base. Being transparent it acted like a glazing coat on the brown beneath, adding depth and lustre. The carmine lost its violet-red tint over time."

I can go into detail if you like?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Detail - umm any ideas what would represent it in 4mm scale - I shouldn't buy cheap Ratio kits!

£3 it cost!
Reply to
Martin

Martin wrote:-

Humbrol gloss white top, very dark brown (or gloss black) lower panels, red window surrounds with an extra coat of varnish all over. I think the end panels were dark brown too? From any distance they looked black & white.

People complain when Larry Goddard charges £200 per coach but when you see how much work is involved it's really quite reasonable. This is one of those instances where a RTR model would reduce the cost of the finish beyond all recogntion.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I think a mix of choclate and black with a touch of purple will work!

I knew there was some purple somewhere!

Thanks

Reply to
Martin