chevons on shunters

Anyone happen to know when the yellow and black chevrons were introduced on the ends of shunting engines? I think mid 60's but I am not sure.

Reply to
Mike

Page 71 of "Doncaster Plant Works" by Susan Jane Woods and Peter Tuffrey shows D3683 at Donny works, with a chevron pattern over the lower half of the grilles at the non-cab end. The photo is dated 20 August 1958, and the chevrons are described as "experimental", so I'd say 1958-1960.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

wrote

Late 1950s, may have been 1958, but not 100% sure - if not, then definitely

1959.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Many thanks

Reply to
Mike

I was browsing through a 1960 "Railway Magazine" @ Pudsey Rail/bus collectors fair on Saturday. Can't remember which month. A photograph of an 03 or 04 shunter took my eye. It had chevrons. The caption read somthing like, "Following succsesfull trials, black and yellow stripes to be added to all diesel shunters". Having said that, I have a postcard from the Dawlish Collection dated

5th March 1967. It shows 03, D2050 on Gateshead shed with no chevrons on the front. The rear is not visible. Cheers, The Three Rivers Rambler
Reply to
The Three Rivers Rambler.

Thanks for that

Reply to