COMMERCIAL: Photo auctions on ebay ending today.

I think it must be the same in every sector of retail. We have lost so many individual local shops that our town centres increasingly resemble each other, with the same national chains selling the same Far Eastern-made junk at ludicrously high mark-ups.

Reply to
Bruce

In message , Bruce writes

Retailers are dependent on what they can get at wholesale, and if the main demand from the larger buyers (the DIY Superstores) is for packaged, cheap, goods, that, together with the demise in the steel industry in this country to start with, then they are going to buy from abroad and the decent stuff will become less available. My other interest (other than steam locos, that is) is dependent on the use of fine pins - since we have lost Newey & Eyre, the only pins available are from Prym - but surprisingly, (being a German company) these are of much lower quality to those we have been using for years. It used to be that the only manufacturers of needles were in Studley (to the point that when I needed a particularly fine tapestry needle, which size was no longer available here, I bought some from the US - when they arrived, guess where they had been made!!!) but now we are more likely to see them being made in Japan.

As long as the wholesalers have a supply of decent quality items to sell on, the smaller retailer can continue to stock them - but once the manufacturers go (due to the larger demand being for the cheaper items made abroad) then they will have nothing decent to sell on to the retailers.

It's the same reason so many of my gr.gr.gr.grandfather's ilk ended up in the workhouse - in his case, machines were developed to produce nails, cheaper and faster, and the demand for handmade nails was lost. It is called progress - sometimes good, sometimes, not for everyone.

From what I've seen from passing the Ashby Wickes, Simon, it is much smaller than the one at Minworth, so probably won't have the range. Their stuff isn't that bad, as has been said - otherwise my late Father in Law (he was general manager for Hall's DIY in Nottingham) wouldn't have bought so much from them - and his son the same!

Reply to
Jane Partridge

"Peter Lawrence" wrote

That doesn't answer his total disregard for eBay's anti-spamming rules relating to Usenet groups.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"UseNet Policy: eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy."

What is he doing that constitutes this 'total disregard'?

Both uk.railway and uk.rec.models.rail charters allow concise and relevant adverts as far as I can see.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Hulme

Snip....

But I can go to Masseys and get various non standard packages of various items as well as full range of drills etc of at least 3 different makes (B&D, Bosch and De Walt), then similar full ranges of screw drivers etc for again at least 3 makes.... Whereas Wickes appears to have standard packs of some items and only their own drills/tools. Thats without mentioning the knowledge and friendliness of staff - and owners. No competition. Plus theres use it or lose it.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Do they sell fork handles?

Reply to
MartinS

Not only do they sell em, but they would remember the programs that aired the humour.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Posting the same advert twice is the issue. It's called spamming.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I would have thought that both posts were relevant to both groups. I did hesitate before I added uk.rec.models.rail to the address line but on reflection thought that it was only 1 on the 1 to 10 spamming scale and only hardcore pedants would object.

So if I alter the posting in some way it will be OK for uk.rec.models.rail?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Are you any connection with the Stevenson collection that was featured in Locomotives Illustrated?

Because there are a few pictures where I would like the original photograph rather than the half tone in the magazine.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from MartinS contains these words:

With four Wickes?

Reply to
David Jackson

You're still waxing on about that?

Reply to
Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@t13g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...

Why do you even need to make the same post twice? Anyone who's interested will have seen it the first time.

If they're for different items, fair enough, but the two posts to uk.rec.models.rail were *identical* as far as I can see.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The message from Bruce contains these words:

Yup. At least until I snuff it, and then I'll be en-sconced elsewhere.

Reply to
David Jackson

When that happens, I will light a candle for you. ;-)

Q: What did one candle say to the other candle? A: Want to go out tonight?

Q. What kind of candle burns longer, a red candle or a green candle? A. Neither, a candle always burns shorter.

Reply to
Bruce