Visiting Hattons Shop

I'm going to be near Liverpool soon and I was wondering whether Hattons shop is worth a visit? I went to Rails in Sheffield and was rather disappointed as the shop was pretty small and there was almost nothing on display. Anyone been to Hattons recently and is it in a safe part of town?

Reply to
Gerald H

Try this link for views of shop

Google view of area
Safe ? Try

Dragon Heart

A lesson I learnt many moons ago is never expect the size of a shop to match the size of the advert!

Reply to
airsmoothed

The message

from airsmoothed contains these words:

Didn't you visit Hattons in the days when it was at 180 Smithdown Road? There wasn't room to swing a cat, never mind having *chairs* to sit on. The regular RM advert was two pages in those days... I must go and have a look at this fancy new _showroom_.

Reply to
David Jackson

yes Hattons is worth a visit and plenty of stock,ok part of town.Terry.

Reply to
terry knight

"Gerald H" wrote

town?

The original shop on Smithdown Road was a stone's throw from Edge Hill steam shed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

I don't remember the original shop, but they'd only recently moved to

180 when I first went to explore in 1958. (Mother was a patient in the hospital next to the cemetery at that time - she did recover...)

Later, when I was working in TT, every time I went in the shop, Norman would look up from whatever he was doing behind the counter and say "You're not *still* looking for 3mm stuff are you?" Eventually I saw sense and took his advice: I've been using "N" for the last 30 years. The TT stuff is still in the loft, however.

Reply to
David Jackson

They have a good layout in TT @ Butterley !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Very true !

Sales via post / internet only need a spare room as an office and some sort of lock up.

I recall visiting a 'shop' for some bike parts, huge adverts in mag's, worked out of his garage !

As long as they give good price / service who cares ?

Or try a place like Modelzone and I quote " All Modelzone stores are an Aladdin=92s cave of display cases stacked full of all the latest exciting products. They are staffed by friendly, knowledgeable people whose aim is to offer a level of product presentation and customer service unrivalled in their sector. " Someone should tell their staff !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Oh I wish...... ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Yes, the buildings in that area seem to be well contructed and I don't think they will fall down on you. Be carefull if you are old and frail, for if you should fall, the pavements are quite solid and you could suffer a few bruises. Other than that I think it is a safe as anywhere else.

Dobbin

Reply to
Dobbin

One could always drop in for a visit to the Jam Butty mines in nearby Knotty Ash.

MartinS

newsbiscuit.com what a great site Martin !

Not so good news about the Snuff Quaries, Broken Biscuit Repair Works, Treacle Wells & Moggy Ranch :-(

Dobbin, you know why the buildings in that area are well constructed ? The H & S Executive have one of their main offices in Liverpool !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Or try a place like Modelzone and I quote " All Modelzone stores are an Aladdin?s cave of display cases stacked full of all the latest exciting products. They are staffed by friendly, knowledgeable people whose aim is to offer a level of product presentation and customer service unrivalled in their sector. " Someone should tell their staff !

Chris

Modelzone are quite good when they have a sale on and only then if you can buy a model that hasnt been in the display cabinet or it will almost certainly be broken/damaged especially if its a steam loco.

MattF

Reply to
MattF

The Croydon one usually seems okay. Certainly no worse than some of the more "traditional" model shops run by people who appear to have simply lost interest in serving customers, especially younger customers (a shop which used to exist in York some years ago comes to mind!).

Reply to
Arthur Figgis