connectors for exhibition layouts

We are in the process of building an exhibition layout and need connectors for wiring between tables and the separate control board.

Which type are being used and are they reliable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

Depends on the number of poles you need to connect. For a few poles then metal DIN plugs with locking rings are cheap and cheerful. For more poles then the more you pay the better they are. Check out farnell.co.uk and search for multi-pole connectors.

Some poeple just use connector blocks, others use edge connectors (like the ones in the back of a PC to connect cards) and an edge type plug on a ribbon cable.

The most expensive and sollid types (Litton, Veam, Harting) are usually too expensive to warrant their use on model railways.

Luke

Reply to
Luke Briner

Ribbon cable and PCB connectors have a limited life time (insertions/removals) may be as low as 50 times

I was considering using the D type connector they also would suffer to limited lifetime usage.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

You can get 'chock-block' that comes in two parts (forming a plug and socket). Not pretty but should be fairly reliable I would think. Not so sure about the D connector having such a short life, my old laptop still uses the original printer cable and seems fine after many years service, however I have not checked the makers specs on that.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Its plugging connectors in an out that results in failure left alone they work fine until oxidation after many years creates a problem and then removing and reinsertion cleans the contacts OK.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Prewett

All the same, you'd be surprised how long they actually last even if they're regularly plugged in and out. D connectors are very robust, and if they do end up getting broken they're cheap and easy to replace.

In the case of an exhibition layout, IME, the connectors are much more likely to fail through being knocked than wear and tear. Castledale has been on the exhibition circuit since 1999 and still has its original plugs and sockets.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell