Continental Electrics

Hi, As I plan my model I am inclined to set it in Europe, I am a little put off by the overhead electrics and wonder how difficult are they to put together. I take it that the locos will take their power from the overhead?

Cheers, Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

That depends how realistically you want to make the o/head electric appear. If you want everything to look spot on, yes it is complex. But, various makers sell the components.

Most (all?) locos will come from the makers set to run from the track. Those that can take power from the o/head will have a switch to swap to o/head power. For working o/head power you will need the o/head system from one of the makers which supports power (as opposed to just cosmetic parts). I think Sommerfeld is one such (and its not cheap).

I wouldn't bother with working o/head, though I would fit the cosmetic stuff.

Not all European railways are electrified. There are vast areas which are diesel hauled. You'll also find many freight yards are diesel powered, even though the main running lines alongside (and the freight arrival and despatch) would be electric. There are also some lines which use 3rd rail electricity.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

Cheers Nigel, Excellent website of yours, thanks. Also thanks for the reply, I'll do as you suggest and not take too much on.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

That depends on the brand chosen, from "snap together" to minor engineering.

No, the Loks all will have a switch for changing between normal 2 rail operation and overhead. You can run your electrics without overhead or with cosmetic overhead. I would recommend those two choices until you have lots of experience in the hobby.

You could use the overhead for operating a station shunting lok independently of the main line trains.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Mickey, Remember that if you have a derailment under the wires you'll have to take care when re-railing not to hit the wires or the masts and pull them down. Some people only erect the masts and leave the wires off for this, and other reasons. Regards, Bill.

independently of

Reply to
William Pearce

Thanks Bill, good advice.