Quick Question

Kind of new to all of this but will be building a very large layout in the very near future.

Can anyone advise me of what 'OO' track manufacturers are compatible with one another and if any combinations of tracks brands cause a problem.

This looks like the king of group that is going to be a big help in the future.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Ceri Thomas

"Ceri Thomas" wrote

There are different standards of track produced by various manufacturers, but the most common is Code 100 track (rail height is 100/1000 of an inch high). Most makes of Code 100 track should be compatible, and certainly Hornby and Peco are.

This answer is a bit simplistic, but it really depends on what you mean by compatible. To me it means they will couple together, and trains will be able to run from one make to the other without difficulty.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John. Yes I was looking for compatibility with connection of mixed makes etc. Cheers

Reply to
Ceri Thomas

"Ceri Thomas" wrote . Yes I was looking for compatibility with connection of mixed makes etc.

I would suggest picking a brand that looks ok to you and ok with the bank manager if you are building a big layout, and stick to it. As far as I know, the Hornby brand is all the same rail profile (Shape) so OK there, but they have "trainset" style points (Switches). The other common brand in the UK is Peco, who make a variety of profiles, so if you choose this brand, ensure it is all the same i.e., code 100, or code 80 etc. The points (Switches) again can vary as they have a "Set track" range (Like Hornby's trainset points) and "Streamline" which are er, more streamline and not so sharp curved, more akin to the real thing.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Andy Sollis CVMRD

- Home of the Churnet Valley Model Railway Department Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.