Controlling DCC from computer?

How does all the talk of Digitrax equipment help a Hornby user who needs XpressNet?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It doesn't.

But the OP will need to ditch the Select, or at best, use it as a slave controller to an Elite.

All solutions to hack an interface to a Select's data port require serious knowledge of not only the signalling protocols, but the data structures ontop of those (and an assumption that the Select can take external instructions to operate, rather than just work as a slave throttle); fine if your hobby is digital electronics, but if the objective is to make the trains run for the kids, then the kids might be teenagers before the project is finished.

FWIW, I do know how to hack into a Bachmann EZ; the buttons can have wires soldered to them and an external speed/direction controller fitted (I've done it). In theory, the external controller could be a small microprocessor (PIC/PicAxe, etc), and thus run things automatically.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

The Select has XpressNet (according to Hornby). Iff that's implemented correctly then it should work with a computer interface. Knowing Hornby, however...

LOL! First thing I did with mine was open it up and have a good poke around.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Noboby has to my knowledge answered whether the Select's Xpressnet actually works, and if it does, whether it only operates as a "throttle", or can accept instructions from (and control a network) of any type of Xpressnet throttles.

As the Xpressnet interface box from Lenz is about £100, I'd say its more sensible to spend a bit more on a DCC system which is known to work with a computer; be NCE, Digitrax, Roco (if you can find one) or a Hornby Elite.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Membership also gives you access to all the past journals and bulletins, not to mention kit sales that you can use the voucher against.

Why not join again, and volunteer to be on the committe or help out at shows. Perhaps then you will understand the scale of the task of membership administration.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

: The only time there is a legal requirement for cash : refunds is when goods purchased are faulty or not : as described.

In this case the "goods" are not as described, 4 months membership rather than a full 12!

Reply to
Jerry

: >>> Join MERG ! Model Electronic Railway Group. : >>>

. : >>>

: >> Be careful joining MERG now.. : >> My experience is that its a money grab thru subscriptions. You join : >> now supposedly with a 12 month sub at £18-ish , and in April , they : >> terminate that sub, telling you that a renewal is due as all subs : >> start in April.. Complain and they send you an £8 'voucher' that can : >> be used against purchase of their kits ( if thats what you want, and : >> there is no alternative.) . They were still selling annual : >> subscriptions at Warley NEC for £18 that last 5 months maximum, and : >> denying that all subs are renewed in April... : >>

: >> Then the Treasurer suddenley doesn't respond to emails and letters : >> ... Be warned. : >>

: >

: > Someone or some people will end up answering to a small claims : > court, if not trading standards, if they are not careful,

*if* : > they are trying to pull a stunt like that! : : Annual subscriptions, taken for new members part way through a year, are : normal in all sorts of fields (*). Join part way through the year and you : get a renewal after a few weeks/months at their annual renewal date, and no : discount/refund for the part-year.

No, they should be offering a pro-ratter rate or having a rolling membership renewal, anything else is fraud! As I said, they could simply deduct the unused months from the first year from the first renewal, that way (although not ideal) the member is just paying part of the second year in advance. It still doesn't

: Some organisations do operate an "overlap" date, where joining say, 2 months : before the year end, will get you 14 months membership, but that costs the : existing members money in subsidising the new member for 2 months.

Bollocks does it. Any out of pocket expense (such as for 'Hand Books and Data Sheets') are what the joining fee is for - so unless the group/club use paid staff for admin, and in that case they should be able to provide rolling membership dates...

: : Quite frankly, for most small/medium societies, a rolling membership date : would be administratively difficult,

Bollocks is it, unless of course they do not use a computerised membership database, unlikely even in the smallest of clubs these days.

and probably impossible to get : volunteers to run the arrangement; an annual renewal results in six-eight : weeks of intensive work and then its all done for another year. :

Rather than an hour or so of casual work a week/month...

Reply to
Jerry

: : No, they should be offering a pro-ratter rate or having a rolling : membership renewal, anything else is fraud! As I said, they could : simply deduct the unused months from the first year from the : first renewal, that way (although not ideal) the member is just : paying part of the second year in advance. It still doesn't :

...address the issue of someone who decided not to renew, in that case there is simply nothing other than refund in the form of a cheque or money transfer that will do.

Reply to
Jerry

: Perhaps then you will understand the scale of : the task of membership administration.

Perhaps the OP already does, just as I do, and that is why he is being so critical of the shame that seems to be the MERGs membership practises!

Reply to
Jerry

Here we go again. Referring to the membership details on the website, the "goods" are *exactly* as described.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

As Nigel says, many organizations do it and if it's clear in the joining instructions then there is no element of fraud whatsoever.

Most of the MERG subscription (as I understand it) goes in the cost of producing the Journal. Any extra Journal issued during the extra 2 months overlap for new members is an expense that must be subsidised by other members.

In fact MERG DO offer an extended membership at no extra cost for those joining close to renewal date.

MERG have been through this a number of times. It is easier to send out renewal forms to everyone with a set Journal issue than to have to send out 2000 or so at random times throughout the year. Even with a computerised mailing list the stamps or postage labels still have to be stuck on and letters posted.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

: Here we go again. Referring to the membership : details on the website, the "goods" are *exactly* as : described.

Hear we go again, read the original complaint, he DID NOT JOIN online, and it's irrelevant anyway.

Reply to
Jerry

: MERG have been through this a number of times. : It is easier to send

It's still no excuse (in fact if that is the only reason it makes the situation even worse...), it just needs a computer database correctly set up to calculate the next years subs (minus or plus any alterations to the base membership fee) for the individual member and spit out a personalised renewal letter to be included with the magazine, the letter will also act as the address label - cost is no more than sending out the normal renewal letter, plus possibly the difference between a non windowed envelope and a windowed one.

Reply to
Jerry

Membership also gives you access to all the past journals and bulletins, not to mention kit sales that you can use the voucher against.

Why not join again, and volunteer to be on the committe or help out at shows. Perhaps then you will understand the scale of the task of membership administration.

Thanks, but no thanks- Once stung, remembered for a long time. £17 for one newsletter , a site password ( that lapsed after 4 months out of 12) and some unanswered emails doesn't fit with 'extra costs bourne by other members' scenario painted earlier. As to helping out, I already was- on the following day , and regularly help most weekends at preserved railways etc. Thanks though for trying to keep me busy.

Reply to
turbo

Try replying to the context of the post you are replying to. I'm referring to the general case of the stated MERG membership conditions, not some specific case for which we have only one side of the story. Actually I now have another angle to the story from the MERG group but I'm not going to stir things by repeating it here.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The MERG renewal letter does act as the address label in the plastic wrapper for *one* issue of the journal. It's personalised for each individual member. It is not possible, without an increase in cost, to make an include/do not include decision with every issue of the journal.

Sending individual renewal letters requires a lot of volunteer effort to stuff, stamp and post the letters. With the current system it just happens, once a year.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

: : Try replying to the context of the post you are replying to.

Take your own advice, you were replying to me!

Reply to
Jerry

The MERG renewal letter does act as the address label in the plastic wrapper for *one* issue of the journal. It's personalised for each individual member. It is not possible, without an increase in cost, to make an include/do not include decision with every issue of the journal.

=================

Whhhoooossshhhh! :~(

Try reading what I actually said, I was talking about the annual letter/subs renewal form.

Reply to
Jerry

Try replying to the context of the post you are replying to. I'm referring to the general case of the stated MERG membership conditions, not some specific case for which we have only one side of the story. Actually I now have another angle to the story from the MERG group but I'm not going to stir things by repeating it here.

MBQ

Stirring things or give them a chance to reply so we can understand both sides ? after all, some people may have been put off MERG from what they have read.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: after all, some people may have been put off MERG from what they : have read. :

Indeed they have....

Reply to
Jerry