Copyright

So who is the major infringer that Pete Waterman talks about, in this months MR editorial, copying other peoples designs? He seems to think we will all know whio he's talking about.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Is there a company called "Just like the Just like the real thing" ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Looking at his comments on

it was simmering for a while and blew up at Telford - though as you say, it seems it's only those in the know who are allowed to be in know who exactly what his problem is - which just makes it a bit amusing for this mere mortal! I would love to know the full story though, being a nosey bugger.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

I've seen him mention this before, possibly on the JLRT web site and wondered whom he meant.

We need to know so we can avoid buying from the wrong source.

It's not new though. Somebody copied Kemilway's excellent footbridge way back when.

I've also seen second generation copies of Omen Miniatures castings in the USA. They weren't quite as detailed as they should be. The dealer claimed they were his own castings but I only know one Victorian or Edwardian lady sitting on a trunk. To be fair he also cast American figures and it is entirely possible he bought the moulds from somebody else. I should stress that I also know genuine importers and dealers who get the figures legitimately.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Indeed, but he does explicitly say that they're not copying JLTRTs products, otherwise he would have started legal action.

He also had a go at MR for publishing an article about resin moulding at home which involved taking a mould from one end of a wagon to modify another.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Maybe the question is whether people doing that would be outnumbered by people going to buy from the wrong source which they didn't previously know of?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Didn't think of that - just assumed people here would be as responsible as you or me.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news:2c93ffbc- snipped-for-privacy@v36g2000yqv.googlegroups.com:

Dunno but I know how he feels, many moons ago myself and a friend produced a range of 15mm white metal figures and models representing various 17thC soldiers and equipment. Within 6 months direct copies were being marketed.

Ours were better but the others were 1/4 less expensive!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Of course we are - saving 20% on any purchase is of no interest to me! =3D8^O>

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

wrote

I'm not sure that this is what Waterman is talking about but:

It's long been alleged that some of the major manufacturers are somewhat cavalier in the way they use the work of others to help develop their own models. In particular wagon kits are known to have been used in this way, as the finished ready-to-run model(s) have incorporated the same errors which appear in the kits.

One of the major manufacturers was also accused of stealing a well-known individual's photograph which subsequently appeared in their publicity material, and they didn't seem at all concerned when that photographer complained.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If that individual could demonstrate authorship of the image he have gone to small claims court and demanded a fair price for one-time use. It's difficult to demonstrate authorship of railway images, as in the very nature of things many images will look very much alike.

However: You can invisibly watermark an image by using steganography, a technique of hiding one file within aniother one. Captions and text inserts can be removed from an image, a hidden watermark is much more difficult to remove. Your assertion of copyright can be hidden in your image. A number of commercial programs are available, as well as some free ones. Here's a free one:

The domain name seems a bit dodgy, but WOT gives this site a green light.

Have fun!

cheers, wolf k

Reply to
Wolf K

Here's another freebie:

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

When you say "other peoples designs" are you thinking of the people who designed the rolling stock e.g. Gresley, Stanier, Ridlles et al or the people who make a living out of copying those designs at a smaller scale and calling them models?

BTW is that the multi-millionaire Pete Waterman who at one time seemed to make a living by sampling previous musics,e.g. "roadblock"

so lets see, copies of real engines, and copies of real music seem to be OK to Mr Waterman, but only when he does it?

roga

You are daft with that suggestion. Are you aware that some modern liveries are copywrite protected and model manufacturers have to obtain permission before reproducing them ?

If he was then did anyone take him to court over these ?

Is PW complaing about the copying of models or kit parts that go to make up a model ?

Yes i've got a lot of time for Pete Waterman considering the work that hes done for preservation, publicity of heritage and model railways as well as his kit manufacturing company.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Don't be such a plonker.

Models are not "copies" of the real thing and could never be passed off as the real thing. The liveries may be copyrighted and protected quite fiercely in some cases.

We're talking about people who make models by copying other peoples models. E.g. by making a mould or photographing the etch. I.E. direct and proveable copyright infringements.

The way the real thing were built and rebuilt repeatedlt, you could argue that some real locos were "samples" of previous designs, often another persons designs. A boiler from here, a smokebox from there, wheels from over there ...

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq