Couplings

Hi again,

I've another question. The 2nd hand 125 I bought doesn't have any couplings on it. When I've looked online I can't find exactly what I need. I've taken 2 photos. One with the missing coupling and the other what it should look like attached. The red arrow points to where the coupling should attached.

I just need the "hook" part. The ones I see online seem to be more complex.

Here are my 2 photos.

Thanks.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

My son is a b*gger for twisting rolling stock to uncouple and is forever pulling hooks out. If its a loco then I rarely bother replacing them unless get uncoupling problems. Quite common to have no hook on loco, many kit built locos just have a wire.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

It looks as if someone has cut a notch in it for some reason, as well as removing the hook.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

That's the problem with the tension-lock couplers.

On the original Triang couplers (looking down from above) the bar was L-shaped. They replaced this with a U-shaped version.

This later version also had a lip on the bar and a notch in the hook, which was the "lock" part.

This picture shows the earlier coupling. It had the advantage that you could uncouple by hand simply by lifting the end of the vehicle and moving it sideways,

But it could also uncouple accidentally. Hence the redesign with the notch engaging the lip.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The loco and the dummy loco don't even have the place for a coupling (the hook part) so I don't think they ever had them. The 2 coaches however, do have the little nub to clip it around re:my picture. Can these hooks be boughts these days? I could easily fashion something out of a paper clip or something but I'd rather not.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

I'm not sure what you mean by "notch"...If you mean the bit missing in the loop part then they are supposed to be there.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Just had a closer look at mine, of course you are correct. Never looked but if you visit exhibitions or second hand shops they may have them or derelict older wagons/coaches from which they may be salvaged.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The one's I've had have never had any hooks so that looks correct for Hornby Mk1 HST power cars different for the Mk2 high quality ones though. A quick on Ebay confirms it no hooks on Hornby HST Mk1's.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks. Yeah I know that the locos don't have them. This is actually a photo of the end of one of the coaches - neither of the 2 have any either.

Looks like it's a paperclip job!

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

All forms of Hornby tension lock coplings come up on eBay regularely and are also available from Abbigails & East Kent Models (both online).

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

Thanks...but can you tell me the name of the ones in my photos so I know what to look for. It's had to see on most net photos which is which.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Sorry for the mis-understanding.