David Jenkinson

Just picked up on another mailing list that David Jenkinson died yesterday, Tuesday.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

A real modelling inspiration and an absolute mind of information. I met him three times and was impressed by his willingness to chat informally. A nice man who will be sadly missed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sadly missed. Never met the guy, but his articles during my formative modelling years, where he was relaxed about good modelling and made us all believe we could do it. (And his 7mm LMS almost persuaded me to abandon American HO and see the light) He has retained a special place in my pantheon of UK modelling greats.

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Australia

Reply to
Steve Magee

A sad loss to us all- read much of his outstanding work- a great historian and modeller.

Cheers Kev

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

We had a thread recently on people who had influenced early model railways in the UK. David Jenkinson must be included in people who have influenced the hobby in the late 20th century. His work with the LMS Society in the 60s in their articles for the Railway Modeller must have started the trend towards more accurate and complete information on railway subjects, and his co-authorship with Bob Essery produced many books of great help to modellers. As a scratchbuilder, I also wonder how many people have built Plastikard coaches to his methods published in the Railway Modeller in the 70s and also in the Wild Swan book. He also participated in the periodicals for the hobby and I remember his editorship of Modeller's Backtrack.

He was a good writer and you could always enjoy one of his articles even if the subject matter was not of particular interest to you.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Mr Jenkinson had a great infuence on my approach to modelling, even though I've never modelled the LMS, just BR(S) and Canadian fleelance.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Indeed, he will be sorely missed, and has probably turned on a great many people onto railway modelling as opposed to running a trainset. I remember reading about his "little long drag" (Settle & Carlisle in

4mm in a massive shed) in the early 70's and wanting to recreate a stretch of the LSWR main line to Exeter in the same way!
Reply to
John Ruddy

Luck meant I met him twice, nice guy, will be missed

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:11:06 +1000, Steve Magee wrote: . (And his 7mm LMS almost persuaded me to abandon

When I got Floquil to do a range of BR colours he advised on, and critized the LMS colours in the nicest way.

He also got interested in American H0 and bought some equipment, but I do'nt beleive he ever actually modelled US H0.

Reply to
Bernard Victor