DCC and Y junctions

To make a Y reverser work in DCC you can use a clever bit of kit (name escapes me) that reverses the polarity of the track at the crucial moment. Is that right?

Suppose you build two loops in the shape of an 8 but with the centre of the

8 not being a crossing but a single piece of track with points at each end and want to connect across the top of both loops as well, thus permitting a "big" loop, two smaller loops and the 8 as possible routings. Provided you put in enough of the polarity reversers at the appropriate points is that feasible.

And before you all tell me that's not prototypical I know!

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Yes, an automatic reverser.

As a general rule, you isolate a length of track (both rails) which is longer than the longest element which could short-circuit things (generally longer than your longest locomotive, though ideally longer than a train is better). The isolated section is then supplied via the reverser. When the "short" occurs as the loco crosses into or out-of the reversing section, the reverser changes the supply very quickly.

It is reported in many forums that the Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller does not work with any automatic reversers as the short-circuit cut out on the Dynamis is faster than the change of the reversers. (If anyone has one which does work, then I'll pass it back to those forums where the reports appear).

I some track arrangements, its possible to switch the polarity with switches and relays rather than using an auto-reverser.

I'm a bit lost on the shape, but yes, with the correct number of reversers it will work.

:-)

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Subject to what Nigel said about the length of the isolated sections and some operational restrictions, then you could build your layout with a single reverser connected to the central track sections.

Connect the outer loop directly to the booster. Connect the centre of the layout to the autoreverser.

This will restrict you to only ever having one train crossing (or at least one piece of stock with metal wheels) between the two power districts. If you want more flexibility then you will need to divide the layout further with more reverse modules. How many and where to put them will depend on yout operational requirements.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Hey Graham across the Pond here I've used 2 auto reverser's and both work well

1- Digitrax AR-1 2- DCC Specialties- I don't know the model number Of the 2, the DCC specialties is more expensive but a much better unit with less problems. Good luck
Reply to
mike mueller