Drunk railway sleeper fined

No, not that sort of sleeper!

(I like the way the train goes past on tiptoes to avoid waking him!!!!)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

David Westerman said the following on 15/12/2006 13:17:

So much for copying the link! Thanks for posting the revised link.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"David Westerman" wrote

That link takes you to a "problem" page. Suggest anyone interested tries

and then clicks on "watch the video"

Dave W

I'm surprised that doesn't happen at preservation railways with how much time some folk spend there over the festive period on Santa trains ! :-) or the diesel crews !

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Paul Boyd">>> No, not that sort of sleeper!

the comment from his father:

"After the hearing, Craswell's father, who declined to be named, said there should have been barriers to prevent his son from getting on to the railway line.

Pc Graham Cottington said it was not practical to fence off every stretch of railway, and added emergency services needed to have access to the tracks. "

sounds trite in this conext - but isn't he right? If the Pc is right - we can always claim that the reason our odd bits are unfenced is because we are waiting for the odd drunk or two - not because we haven't got a roundtuit.

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Reply to
John Fryer

And this was on a model railway?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Hmmm. "Drunk railway sleeper fined."

Guess he'd tied one on? (International humour).

-- Merry Christmas to all.

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Evidently the railway should be hermetically sealed off, all booze placed in an adjacent cacoon and the poor unfortunate boozy bastard put down at the earlist opportunity or tied to a post where he could not inconvenience any one else with his antisocial behaviour.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Ken Wilson" wrote

Funny that the Americans manage perfectly well with unfenced railways. Or is Craswell really saying that his son is a pratt and needs protecting from himself.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

railways. Or

That is irrelevant, and they don't manage perfectly well anyway (compare the figures of people killed on US railroad network and those killed on the UK rail network), the point is the railways in the UK have a legal duty to fence the system - something that Pc Graham Cottington appears to be ignorant of!

protecting from

I think his sons actions speak for them selves.... :~(

Reply to
Jerry

I must admit that, when I saw the title of the post, I thought it had been a long piece of wood or concrete that had over-imbibed.... I tend to agree with you, John, about culpability in this case. It certainly doesn't rest with the railways, but with the idiot in question, and possibly also the bar-staff who continued to serve him. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

"Dear Mr Craswell (senior), you have failed in your parental duties by bringing up a son who is such an idiotic buffoon that he gets so drunk that he goes to sleep on a railway line. Suggest you examine and remove the mote in your eye - it is IMMENSE."

Reply to
Brian Watson

His penalty (fine + community service) was greater than for many people who place obstacles on a track in the hope of derailaing an express or who throw concrete blocks through the windscreens of moving trains. Where is the justice in that? Stupid, yes. Malicious, no.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

That's nothing. A local drunk fell asleep in a railway tunnel and was found three days later with both legs severed by a passing train. (I think it was in Leamington?) Amazingly he survived. I suspect the sheer amount of alcohol in his bloodstream is what kept him alive.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

THAT legless, huh?

Reply to
Brian Watson

I find the same thing...

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

think it was

I know someone who actually witnessed a woman take a running jump off a platform in front of an approaching non-stopping train, she over jumped and landed in the 6 foot but with both ankles laying across the running rail, after the train (with much noise from the brakes) cleared the platform [1] the lady was still laying in the 6 foot but sans both feet - they were laying in the 4 foot. The witness, who was a serving police officer at the time, said the most remarkable thing was the fact that there was little blood visible and the lady was not loosing blood, and as such he didn't know if to jump down and help the woman laying on the track or help those on the platform who were fainting around him when the woman sat up and asked "Please help me!"...

My point being, crush injuries that sever limbs can cause sealing of the wound.

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote in news:4584138e$0$97266$892e7fe2 @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

It's not so much that but 'shock', it is shock that cause the blood vessels to contract as a way to preserve remaining body fluids.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Just wait until the Health and Safety Taliban prosecute the railway company or Railtrack for having an electrified railway line in the way of some poor unfortunate drunken bum who just wanted to go to sleep 'cos he was a little tired and confused. Surely it's his human right to have an undisturbed sleep once in a while........

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan