Drunk railway sleeper fined

...and his head squashed and his leg electrocuted.

Quite right: well said.

:-)

I braved the December chill this morning to try to duplicate the scene on my outdoor 00 layout.

Unfortunately the loco derailed when it hit the little person's head.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Dare I say it you have missed the train on this one! There is a myth that Health and Safety prosecutions are done on a whim. I would think that any action is unlikely unless there was e.g. a gaping hole in the fence where a young child could wander on the railway and be electrocuted. Having worked in railway health and safety for many years you will find that the media are well out of touch. In most of industry the emphasis has been to promote health and safety in to the working culture and do not rest on your laurels! regards, Steve

Reply to
Brush4

Should have used a 9F! That would have done it well the bachman version anyway, buit and weighs like a brick!

Did you report it to the HSE? We wouldn't want the newspapers reporting it in the press before you do...

Reply to
Fastmoggy

I wonder if BTP have closed his layout while they investigate?

Reply to
Bruce

Of COURSE I did...

Heh! Heh! Heh!

Reply to
Brian Watson

Nah, they don't work on Sundays.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

LOL. I assume his MP will be calling for a national register of all layouts to help prevent this sort of thing from recurring

Reply to
Bruce

In uk.railway Bruce twisted the electrons to say:

Never mind that, *clearly* model railways have no place in a decent and civilised society. They must be banned forthwith - think of the children etc etc!

Reply to
Alistair Gunn

I don't think we have any surface running 3rd-rail electrified lines in Canada, apart from the Toronto Subway and Vancouver Skytrain, which are completely fenced off. The Montreal Metro is all underground.

Reply to
MartinS

What about Grand Central Station in New York (yes I know it's not in Canada)? That's third-rail electrified and surface running when it eventually comes out of the tunnels up to where the ex-New Haven lines become overhead (is it 11,000 V AC?) and diesel power can start operating.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I'm sure there are other operations in the US. In Chicago, the Skokie Swift non-stop shuttle from Evanston to Skokie used to be part third-rail and part overhead, changing at speed using a retractable bow collector-type pan. There was at least one grade crossing on the third-rail section, with nothing except warning signs to keep people off the track.

Reply to
MartinS

On the Ravenswood L line in Chicago, after it descended from the elevated and became ground level, it had no fences that I remember, and the third rail was totally exposed (except at grade crossings). It was assumed, I suppose, that only a complete idiot would venture near the third rail. There were signs, featuring cute little lightning bolts.

Reply to
video guy

Perhaps I should try that!(:-)

Alan