Fitting Lenz Gold Decoder to Hornby Brittania 'William Wordsworth'

Hi all,
I'm currently trying to fit a Lenz Gold decoder into a Hornby Brittania 'William Wordsworth' (one of the new ones), and basically I can't get it to
fit. Has anyone here managed to get one in? (a decoder into the loco, that is ;-)
The only solution I can think of at the moment is to remove the NEM socket, and wire the decoder in directly, but I was trying to avoid that.
By the way, I've noticed that the chassis to body fit on this design is very tight!
Oh, and a quick rant: I just had to fit a decoder to a Bachmann 4MT tank, and broke about a hundred bits of pipework off! Bl**dy useless having that much beautiful detail, only for it to break up on removing the body to fit the decoder! Grrr...
Ian J.
"Ian J." wrote

I've managed to fit several Lenz 'Silver' decoders to the new Hornby Britannia locomotives, and think one of my customers has fitted a 'Gold'. It's a while back now, but I think there's a need to trim the reinforcing ribs inside the locos boiler to accomodate the decoder(s).
John.

I wondered about those, as they seemed to be what was stopping the decoder sitting flat. I will have a go at trimming them this evening and see if I can get the decoder in. Thx.
Ian J.

Done and running fine, though I did manage to break off the speedo link to the body! I'm not having much fun with all these details at the moment...
Ian J.
"Ian J." wrote

I know exactly what you mean. The amount of flimsy detail on the more recent Hornby locos make them an absolute nightmare to work on - with some it almost impossible to remove the body without doing some damage. I will now only undertake work on any Hornby loco if my customer accepts that some damage may occur.
The speedo drives are poorly designed in my opinion, and I can see no reason why they cannot be fitted to the chassis at both ends, thus eliminating any need to disconnect them before attempting to remove the body.
John.
I have a couple of Bachman Shay locos. To install decoder, remove coal load in tender, insert decoder, put coal back, go to fridge, get beer, enjoy.......... hmm Rob

The British are far cleverer than that. They leave a gap between the loco and tender big enough to accomodate a mainframe computer.
(kim)

Is that a modern-day "fits into 4 filing cabinets" mainframe computer or a thirty-years-old "fits into 4 living rooms" mainframe computer?

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

Just like the new Bachmann Ivatt 2MT - brilliantly easy!
John.