Drive worm slipping off :-(

Does the drive worm on the motor of some of the smaller Hornby models like 0-4-0's have a retaining washer in-situ ? The one on my son's Virgin 0-4-0 shunter keeps slipping off and when I attempt to replace it will not go back on without first pushing a needle through the hold for the drive shaft.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Nothing so technical - tis very basic. Try a bit of super glue on the shaft first.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

worm on the motor of some of the smaller Hornby models

Thanks Simon .... i'll give it a try

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Take great care not to seize the motor bearing with superglue. Wrap some masking tape or somthing for about 1/8inch around the shaft, then a bit from the shaft to the end of the motor. Take care when removing if any superglue is around.. It has an amazing knack of sticking the things you don't want it to, whilst defying all attempts to stick the intended parts.

Reply to
Kirk

Take care with other things too, know someone that used loctite to fix a worm on a Mashima motor. Left it at the wrong angle and the motor siezed. Incredible just how effective loctite can be. Yes did manage to get it working again.

If you need a new motor with worm for the shunter, I have a spare one that wont be using. could leave it at Church Gresley if you like.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon