G Gauge Newbie Part 2

One of the locomotives in my "deal you can't refuse" initiation into G gauge is a Bachmann 4-6-0. It would not run and just shuddered and made a noise like a coffee grinder. I opened it up and found a motor smaller than that in some HO diesels driving through a plastic crown gear and spur gear reduction train. The gear on the motor was not meshing well with the crown gear due to wear. I added a shim washer behind the crown gear to hold it against the motor gear and it now runs, but still sounds like I'll soon get a pound of drip grind. It seems like it should really have a better motor, and a worm gear drive. Is anyone aware of an article on upgrading the drive train in these bargain locos? Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

This was a common problem in many of their early (and not so early) 4-6-0s. There are drive units avail from Barry's Big Trains that will replace/upgrade your drive.

Usual disclaimers apply

-=Bob

Bob McCown

Thanks - that looks like just what I need! Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

Gary,

Contact Bachmann. They have a Warranty feature. For $25 you can send it back, and they will install a new drive. ( motor, gears, etc.) They use the latest version. This should be a 200% improvement from the original drive.

Bill

Reply to
LGBer0672