Santa Fe passenger units

I am checking for ATSF passenger cars for my son [who lives a distance away]. He has a couple of Atlas streamlined cars [parlor and coach]. I see an Aurora and an Arnhold car on e-Bay. Can anyone tell me if these would match his Atlas cars? The Aurora is a vistadome and the Arnhold is an RPO car. Thanks. harrym

Reply to
HarryM

HarryM wrote: I am checking for ATSF passenger cars for my son [who lives a distance away]. He has a couple of Atlas streamlined cars [parlor and coach]. I see an Aurora and an Arnhold car on e-Bay. Can anyone tell me if these would match his Atlas cars? The Aurora is a vistadome and the Arnhold is an RPO car. Thanks. harrym

--------------------------------------------------- The Atlas cars are 85' cars, the Aurora (Minitrix) cars are about 72', and the Arnold RPO is around 57' IIRC. I mix these cars and they look ok, but I usually run my passenger trains with about 11 or more cars so a mix looks nice.

The Atlas cars are silver with black lettering, the Aurora cars have a red stripe through the window area (larger on one side due to the dropped windows), and the Arnold car is all silver with black lettering.

Hope this helps.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Con-Cor has made some cars in N Scale for ATSF.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Thanks for the quick reply. This helps. harrym

Reply to
HarryM

As did Kato

***************************

"Brian Paul Ehni" > wrote

Con-Cor has made some cars in N Scale for ATSF.

Reply to
VManes

The Kato cars are specific CB&Q prototypes. The dome & sleepers are post war, the rest are pre-war Budd cars, IIRC....

The N Con-Cor cars are rather generic(old Riv's) The new Con-Cor line of Budd cars seem to be based on CZ cars, but do not have full length skirting line post war CB&Q cars, and have smooth letterboards.

Jim Bernier

VManes wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Problem is, there just aren't any actual ATSF prototype cars out there in N.

Perhaps, Walthers will see the potential of doing in N what they are doing for us in HO?

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Brian Ehni replied: Problem is, there just aren't any actual ATSF prototype cars out there in N.

---------------------------------------------------- Here's a good site to find info about prototypes for N scale passenger cars:

According to this, the Arnold RPO model used a Santa Fe prototype as did Bachmann's full-done car:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

I stand corrected; there were two. 8^)

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3198.bay.webtv.net,

Time to get out the tools and Kitbash there Brian.

Reply to
wannandcan

I say "Nay, nay." I do HO, and am slowly receiving my Walthers cars. The original poster wil need to do the kitbashing, or live with "close enough".

For the N Scalers' sake, I hope Walthers does in N what they have done in HO with passenger cars.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Trainman wrote: If you look closely at the early Rapido and Trix N scale cars, they were not so much N scale models of prototypes, rather they were N scale models of Athearn HO cars!

----------------------------------------------------- Very interesting, Don. Thanks for the info. Now, all I have to do is dig out my Athearn cars and compare them.

---------------------------------------------- Don, I hope you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I don't doubt that you are right. I just like to look at similar models in different scales.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Don't sit with fingers crossed. Use them to write to Walther's and let them know that there is interest. Encourage others who want the cars to write also.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum