Decoder getting a little warm - is that right ?

Hello all,

I've fitted a Lenz Silver decoder into my DCC ready Hornby 4P. (I suspect DCC ready only means it's got the socket, not somewhere to put the decoder).

I've had to stick the decoder to the inside of the plastic body, as that was the only place I could find that it would fit. Problem is two fold...

1) Decoder gets warm to the touch on the outside of the plastic body. I'm pretty sure this is wrong, though cannot check on other loco's as the decoder has a proper home inside the chassis on the others. (I did remove the capacitor on the 4P)

2) Slow speed performance is good, except over turnouts, when I get a lot of stalls. Other loco's don't seem to have this issue, and I've checked the wheels and track are clean.

Any ideas - is this normal behaviour, or something wrong somewhere?

Reply to
Ian Cornish

I've no experience of DCC but as the decoder is dealing with maybe an amp of current it wouldn't be unexpected to get a bit warm. How warm it should be I don't know but it might be better to stick it somewhere where it can't cause any damage (e.g. glue to chassis or an area of body out of sight)

Are your turnouts powered from the both ends from feeds or do you rely on the turnouts to divert power between tracks?

pete

Reply to
naked_draughtsman

"Ian Cornish" wrote

I can't think that it should get that warm. I doubt if the decoder is handling more that 0.1amp. You've located your decoder where mine is situated but I've not noted this to be a problem - but then I rarely handle my locos.

I've had it once or twice with mine. One possible solution would be to fit a Gold decoder complete with one of the Power 1 (capacitor) modules which should provide enough electrickery to get over such problems.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ian Cornish wrote: [...]

Can't tell without further info. Two possibl;e causes:

a) the wheel base of the bogies isn't long enough to span isolated or plastic frogs (crossings);

b) the points don't make reliable contact to power the closure rails and frog, probably because they move as the engine rides over them. (Closure rail: the bit between the point and the frog.)

Depending on make or construction of the turnout, there are a variety of ways to ensure electrical continuity through a turnout, so if that's what you ned, post another question with details.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir