Glue for Coal

I have a number of locos (kit built) that require coaling to complete. What do you advise as suitable glue or fixative that does not show when I've finished the coaling?

Thanks for help

Colin Williams

Reply to
C.Williams

"C.Williams" wrote

I've used a good quality white PVA in the past. It is visible afterwards, but takes black paint extremely well.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Wallpaper paste?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Finish with Humbrol 85 Coal Black to give a dull sheen and keep any loose bits in place. Also useful for rubber flooring, tyres, etc.

Reply to
MartinS

PVA, thinned w/ water and a dash of isopropyl alcohol. About 2 parts PVA to 1 part water. The alcohol will promote wetting. If there's a shine you don't like, spray with a matte fixative afterwards, or drybrush with matte black paint. Or leave it shiny - say it just rained, and the coal is still wet. :-)

HTH&HF

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I use PVA unthinned. Spread on a layer and pile on the coal till it's full and press it down well. When it's set, turn the model over and empty out the unstuck coal. Repeat the process till the coal space is as full as you want it. I use Peco imitation coal, and it doesn't need painting afterwards with this method. Stan Visit my shop at

Stanthea Models