Green Deltics

Green Deltics and Tampers arrived in stock today.

Reply to
John Turner

The tampers are HO scale aren't they? Does it show, or do they look okay against the 4mm stock?

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

They're HO-scale I believe and of European prototype, so very much a subjective issue. The best aspect to them is that they look something like the right shade of yellow. :-/

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John, any chance of a piccy or two of the deltic and tamper? Ta. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hi

I purchased one of these locos locally today! First impressions (run on test tracks only) are very, very good. It seems to have even managed to capture a little of that near sub audible power rumble that the real thing had! The loco moves slinky smooth at all speeds and I can't see it lacking tractive effort at all! D9004 has been cruising up and down the test track this evening looking every part the power house she is! I know its the same moulding as the blue one but the model looks much better, the nose end issue just does not seem to show, maybe green is the proper colour for diesels then ;-)

Anyway, head code is 1E14 named The Queen's Own Highlander and number D9004. Metal plates are included but the ones already applied look fine to me. Various detail parts are included to fit by the buyer. One end has a driver fitted but no second man so he will have to attend the boiler and make tea by himself. One question, the fuel tanks are painted in a dark green, is this correct?

Everything looks good to me, now I am off to bed as I have units to drive in the morning, oh what joy (not)

Reply to
Mike
[ re Bachmann deltic ]

The original livery, with very few exceptions, is always the ' proper' colour IMO.

No, the second man is attending to making a brew in the nose end, unless he is using the toilet that is also in there ! :~)

Reply to
Jerry.

"Badger" wrote

Very busy at the moment which is why there have been no pictures recently, but if I get chance and some decent light I'll try my best.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I tend to agree, but two exceptions come to mind, appropriately both related to the type under discussion. DP2 and the Baby Deltics were both improved when repainted in Deltic style. IMO, of course, to the extent that I'd model the refurbished Baby Deltic even for a layout set earlier.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

Hey! now that would be nice a baby deltic. I wonder if a manufacturer could be perswaded to make one? Would be a spin off for those who like the big deltic and be a smaller loco for people with less space. I vote yes :-)

Reply to
Mike in Sussex UK

In message , Mike in Sussex UK writes

Doesn't bother me. I don't want either.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Well Bachmann are 45% of the way there with the running gear, once they release the class 20. A new chassis block and longer drive shafts, new body and modifications or the class 20 bogies.

As you imply, one can dream....

As a foot-note: if the model was of the rebuild version, there is an excuses for / any one / to have D5909 on their layout if set between 1971 and 1976 as that loco spent it's last days, after withdrawal from capital stock, in the care of the tech bods at Derby and thus could have been used anywhere on the system.

Reply to
Jerry.

Yes :)

Ian

Reply to
Ian

No such luck! It was dumped at Stratford depot buffered up to D5905. They let me visit them on two occasions to take detail photos and measurements. Shame that film was such an 'investment' for me in those days, because I left some questions unanswered.

D5901 was the one at Derby, kept going with spares from the other two locos. It ended up at Doncaster and was (apparently) posed for photography during a mid-70's open day, looking still very presentable. See Neil Dimmer's photo site. Sadly despite looking as appealing as a pup in a shop, noone took it home that day, and it was cut. Maybe if it had been shunted in a different order on the scrap line the preservationists might have woken up in time.

If anyone wants a model, then Dave Alexander does a kit, as do Silver Fox, with a RTR option, and it's projected by TechCAD Design also. Where anyone will get drawings from, I don't know, I asked the ex-BR archive just last week.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

"Mike in Sussex UK" wrote

A big negatory from me - think I'd sooner have a cold than one of those ugly & useless things.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In relation to Baby Deltics

Really, both those locos were built in hundreds and were ubiquitous on their systems, hardly true of the Baby Deltic. I used to pass through Kings Cross often in the 60s and never saw a Baby Deltic, suburban trains were hauled by Brush 2s (Class 31s).

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Well you must have blind then- yes it was the norm Brush 2's were tasked with hauling the suburban trains and in paticular the "Cambridge Buffet" was tasked with class 31's, but on many occasions it was hauled by "Baby Deltic's" perhaps as much as 1in4 were hauled by this type & even "45's" and even the odd "40" those were the days.

Reply to
Anonymous

Passing through and modelling an area are totally different matter, as another poster has said, how the hell you missed the Baby Deltic's... - unless it was in the 15 months that they were in store or being modified by EE.

Reply to
Jerry.

My school days required me to shuttle down and up the GN to Hitchin. From 1964 when the Baby Deltics reappeared, I'd see

2 or 3 per day. In particular, the down CBE arriving at Hitchin about 15:55 was normally a Baby Deltic turn.

The partner up service arriving a couple of minutes later was a Brush Type 4 turn. On one occasion, I got my first "Daddy Deltic" haulage!

It must have been Autumn 1966, after I had discovered that Baldwin's in Potters Bar had some Hornby-Dublo left on the shelf, that I went one Saturday afternoon to spend my birthday money on an A4 I'd seen, but having missed it came away with a Co-Bo (which I still have). As I left his shop, the down CBE passed with double-headed Baby Deltic power.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight