Blue 08s from Hornby just arrived.

Reply to
John Turner

Plain or mucky?

How much?

Andy

"John Turner" wrote in message news:d7pes6$rbq$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net... Blue 08s from Hornby just arrived.

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Pristine! ;-)

£54.99 less our usual discount.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John, I will maybe give you a ring next week. Not I a hurry so won't matter if they all go and I have to wait...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

John,

Your > Blue 08s from Hornby just arrived.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

"Ian Cornish" wrote

Best D&E model to date, bar none!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

NOT,

Springs are as thin as the bachmann ones, totally rigid wheelbase, not even a sprun centre axle, very very odd quatering, with the balance weights at approx 135 degs, not 90Degs as they should, and trust me it will be very difficult to fix as well, the wheels are on a splined axle, and the cranks plug in to square ended extensions, but not at same pitch, and as for those coupling rods. well Bill Bedford and maybe even Brassmasters are going to be quite busy supplying replacments for that really really soft alloy that hornby have used, Hornby you really have dropped a proper clanger there.

Conversion to any other scale will be a interesting challenge, the body is verrrrryyyyy nice though. backhead and cab detailing is superb. Well done honrby for that one.

I have to say the chassis looks like it is a c>

Reply to
Trevor Grout

Sure would, 2mm especially You did mean gauge I take it. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Trevor Grout" wrote

Oh yes? A friend took up your challenge and accomplished an EM conversion in 15 minutes.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

LOL ,

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Shoving the wheels back to back out a bit does NOT constitute a conversion. I was of course refering to scale wheels with correct flange depths. NOT the hornby ones.

And even if the hornby wheels are moved out to EM (wrong gauge) still the balance weights are a 135Degs NOT 90Degs like there supposed to be.

Reply to
Trevor Grout

"Trevor Grout" wrote

Sorry, I didn't realise you were such an expert. My friend has been modelling in EM for close on twenty years, consideres the Hornby wheels to be suitable for his requirements and is perfectly happy with his conversion. What's your problem with that?

You're talking P4 then? I was talking EM.

Ah well, we're still waiting for the perfect model in that case.

Yes, I think you signed it quite appropriately, although I wouldn't have been so disaparaging about you.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Trevor Grout" wrote

Try looking at some pictures of 08s and then come back and tell me that the balance weights should be at 90º to the cranks. I've not found one yet.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Did I say I was an expert, No. anyone with eyes could see the errors if you looked, before you went off on one saying how perfect it was, if your friend want to work in inferior gauges then I do not have a problem with that either, there choice not mine, Horses for Courses. etc etc.

I was pointing out the simple FACT that even in OO Gauge the wheels on the NEW all singing and dancing 08 are wrong, the balance weights are in the wrong place, simple as that, the Plonk was for Hornby.

Reply to
Trevor Grout

Only noticeable if you can view both sides of the loco at the same time.

Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote

We're not talking wheel quartering - the wheels are correctly quartered on their axles, but Trevor is (incorrectly, in my opinion) suggesting that the balance weights should be set at 90º to the outside crank, whereas photographic evidence (200 pictures so far) suggests that Hornby have got it right.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Trevor Grout" wrote

At the risk of being pedantic, can I just ask where I said it was perfect? I said it was the best D&E (diesel & electric) model todate, bar none - and I still stand by that statement.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Having just had a trawl for pics of 08s showing their balance weights I would estimate less than 1 photo in 20 shows the relevant detail so if you have found 200 with 'photographic evidence' you must have looked at upwards of 400 pictures, that's dedication. Still 2 or 3 are enough to show that the weights are as expected, directly opposite the cranks, ie at 180 degrees, not 90 or 135. In the absence of any pistons, inside cranks etc anything else would be really strange.

So perhaps you could just confirm that Hornby have indeed set their cranks and balance weights at 180 degrees, ie opposite and that the cranks on each side are at the expected 90 degrees. Then we can send Trev for an eyesight test, or suggest that Hornby don't manage to assemble them all the same!

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Still looks like an oily shoebox though :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Keith Norgrove" wrote

The angle between crank & balance weight is not quite 180º, nor should it be. My guess is around 165º.

The wheels are correctly quartered (by implication at 90º).

John.

Reply to
John Turner