Hornby price increases

That is an out and out lie.

Reply to
Jerry

As was said on the media a number of years we have both the most expensive and cheapest fares in Europe. For instance if I was going to London in the rush hour from Ipswich it would cost me £51 return. But this weekend I'm getting a return to London for £18 then a return to Portsmouth for £2. Given the distance it would cost me @£40 in petrol alone not counting wear and tear on the car and the stress of driving round London.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

No, it's not in the interests of those who want to be at the top of the pyramid...

Reply to
Jerry

Indeed. If /everyone/ in the system has their fingers in the pie, there is little incentive for someone to rock the boat. If me and my mates have got our own brown envelopes, we aren't really going to be able to tell the press that you have yours in the hope of public outrage dislodging you.

For all the faults of our yah-boo system, our corruption is pretty tame and technical, and often as not complaints are as much about simply disagreeing as about actual corruption.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Chris" wrote

Ah yes, but if there were four of you in that car, the cost per person would be far less than the cost of rail travel.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But he would miss out on the happy smiling eager to please rail staff.

Reply to
Trev

No mode is ever going to cater for everything.

If there were 40 of you, hiring a bus might make sense. If you were starting in Belfast, flying might be a better. Trains aren't at their best moving groups of four people door to door, but then cars aren't especially good at moving lots of individual people into cramped city centres all at once, and back again later on. Buses are good at getting to the back of beyond, but not good at doing it quickly or comfortably. Planes are fast over water, but rubbish at getting people on and off at each end.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Arthur Figgis" wrote

Indeed, but the car seems to make more sense, most of the time - except when the motorcycle is better! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

FPTP and PR (as in NZ) are just 2 forms of electing representatives - another method is the Preferential System (as in Aust) where the member is not elected until they have minimum 50% of the vote. Same dog, different leg action perhaps? :)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In general the electorate know who will be PM before a general election and can make a choice. Do you think Labour would have won the last election if GB were in line for the job immediately rather than some vague promise?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

If I remember correctly, it was felt that Labour won the last election because Gordon Brown was waiting in the wings to take over from Tony Blair.

I get the feeling that if the Tories win the next election then Mr Cameron will have done his job and will be promoted sideways to let the preferred leader take over. Me, cynical? :-) Just remember that the Tories have the most experience at shafting their leaders. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:47:57 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" said in :

Why pick on NZ? As far as I recall last time I checked Europe had only two countries which did not use some form of PR, the UK and Liechtenstein. I believe Liechtenstein has since changed.

The idea that polling 40% of those who bother to vote in some way entitles a party to an absolute majority in Parliament seems to me to be absurd.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:22:29 +0100, Chris said in :

My Gold Card gets me all kinds of discounts and deals. And it only cost me £3,300 - bargain! Not.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

How then do you explain that the Beaching report was created for a Conservative government and most of the closures occurred under a Labour government. The only constant is the civil service. And railway privatisation was a treasury wheeze to reduce the amount of money that was paid out to the railways that has badly backfired. Look at the mess DfT is making of the railways since the demise of the SRA.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

A lot of TOCs do group save fares for 4 travelling together to get round that exact point. For the Portsmouth example the train is still cheaper for 4 than a car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

A a lot of councils will also sell Senior Railcards at a discount to station price certainly for him in Norwich.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:26:18 +0100, Chris said in :

Nah, it was an ideology-driven plan deliberately designed to prevent renationalisation.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

How about just selling the ticket at that lower fare, without the need for the customer to having to buy a discount card first...

Reply to
Jerry

Every single closure had to be approved by the Sectary of State for Transport - the civil service nor BR could do nothing without that approval/signature. The fact that most of the closures, and lets not forget the number of lines that were kept, was an accident of history - the Tories not being re elected in '64. But lets not forget the fact, it was the Tories how appointed Beaching...

news:uk.tv-programmes.Jackanory is that away ===>>>

Reply to
Jerry

No disrespect intended, but that sounds straight out of tots early reading books :- trains are good at ....

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon