Hornby see 'weakening consumer demand'

They could build an "interpretive centre" like the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin - no actual Guinness brewed here.

Reply to
MartinS

That is exactly what had been planned at Margate following a proposed exchange of property with B&Q who would have taken over the under-utilised (at the time) factory and used it as a store. A product museum was also planned all to be built on nearby land.

Despite a lot of local support, John Prescott scuppered the scheme by ruling that this was inappropriate use for the area. I think it was B&Q's retail use that was disapproved of rather than Hornby's proposed Heritage Centre.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

In message , Enzo Matrix writes

That could be a bit difficult. Live steam products are advertised "for adults only".

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

anyone know if the advert was played much in the US? I gather that was where many of the live steam sets were eventually sold to... (though my understanding could be wrong)

Reply to
Ian J.

Hmm. I think you may be right about this. The current bulk of buyers of Hornby's (and Bachmann's) steam outline models seem to be on the older side (over 50). Give it another 20 years combined with economic ups and downs, and there won't be anything like the numbers that have been buying recently. There need to be new initiatives to attract new customers, and responses to what actually exists as a market going forward (witness the recent surge in models of post steam-era diesels). Hornby's virtual model railway is also a part of that.

Kids and adults have so much to fill their leisure time with now that they have to be selective as to what they are going to spend that time on - and it's the things they really enjoy that will take most of that time, and don't get insulted for. It's a pity that model railways are seen by the 'general' public in UK and Europe as 'nerdish' - in the States I understand model railways are quite an acceptable hobby...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"mindesign" wrote

Well Bachmann have made the first steps in that direction by producing models of TODAY's trains whereas Hornby seem almost to have forgotten that end of the market. Even their most recent diesels models (classes 08 and

31) are 1950s or earlier designs, whilst their class 50 model is a child of the 60s.

Poor choices and abjectly poor quality when producing models of more recent prototypes (Networker, Eurostar and class 92) have resulted in poor nationwide sales.

These decisions are far more fundamental than widespread advertising. If you don't produce what the 'new modeller' wants, or will not produce good quality products to satisfy that market then there's little point in advertsing aimed at it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I never saw it, but we disconnected the TV a couple of months ago. :-)

When I subscribed to Model Railroader, Hornby usually had a full page advert most months.

Richard (typing from the DFW Metroplex)

Reply to
Richard Marsden

and again, displaying a serious weakness in Hornby's thinking .... preaching to the converted. It's almost like they've given up!

Reply to
mindesign

and once again - Hornby can hit the "nerdish" thing head-on by displaying a range of commercials that have 20's-30's aged folks talking about their highly regarded positions in industry/education/commerce etc, as engineers, pilots, surgeons, teachers, etc. attributing their advanced skills in their field to being given the opportunities as youngsters to fully develop their minds through Railway Modelling. I speak from personal experience here and can state that my electronics training in the military had it foundations solidly in Railway Modelling. I went away from that field and enjoyed successful careers in more than 6 other fields - due at least in part to trusting my creative abilities, again developed through Railway Modelling.

If we list what we have learned through it, I think we would be reminded of the most wonderful times of our lives.

(puts brand development guy hat on again)

I can imagine a campaign that celebrates the vast skills we learn (largely SELF TAUGHT!!!) through Railway Modelling.

Engineering Scale and proportion Accuracy in measurement ( bloody thing dunn fit!) Design History Attention to detail Electrical theory Golden friendships team building people management (muuuuuuuuuuum......daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, I really want that train!) Money management and .... well..... how to bloody-well make things! often from scratch.

these rolled off my fingers in an instant - I know there are a million more, but just look at what we have been given! As a brand development person, I can see that this is a legacy worthy of handing on.

But I am waffling again, but then it isn't 9 a.m. here yet. Coffee time!

:)

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

what's claughton?

Reply to
mindesign

which factory?

China still has a steam rail network I believe - I for one would enjoy travelling to Bachmann's plant, Hornby's plant and taking a trip or two on the 1:! scale babies.

:)

Reply to
mindesign

there ya go!

now we are getting somewhere.....

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

in a world where McDonald's can take government to court and get the "restaurant" in a heritage listed area AND demolish a 19th century building to do so, I reckon a lobby group could've "assisted" this guy in understanding the benefits to the public good of this case.

I don't have to try hard to imagine a petition of a million names, gently requesting consideration.

Reply to
mindesign

Ooh!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"mindesign" wrote

Not what but who!

Try Googling 'Sir Gilbert Claughton'.

The what is an LMS 4-6-0 tender loco, one of which (from memory) carried the 'Claughton' name. I believe two 'Claughton' class locos were rebuilt at 'Patriots'.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

LNWR

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Which became part of the LMS.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It was an LNWR design as opposed to an MR, L&Y or LMS design. You might just as well say the 7F Super-D was an "LMS" 0-8-0 loco.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Which became part of British Railways.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

But all the Claughtons were gone by that time.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix