G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

On 11/12/2008 21:48, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk said,

An absolutely beautiful model, very smooth running. The cab detail is the best I've ever seen on an RTR model, and it's better than a lot of kits as well! I've got the Maunsell green version with the 6-wheel tender. I'm not able to test haulage ability, but on my lone length of OO track (I model in P4) it seems to be pretty good. It doesn't slip too easily, although those traction tyres will be coming off when it's converted to P4!

A couple of catches. My model had a bent coupling rod - easily fixed. The fall plate prevents the close-coupled position from being used, even as a static model. I felt that the wires twixt loco and tender were a bit on the long side. Minor points, really.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 11/12/2008 21:48, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk said,

No-one else?????????????

Reply to
Paul Boyd

From: "Paul Boyd" Subject: Re: Hornby T9

It looks fabulous but wouldn't entertain one because of the traction tyres - the bloody things collect muck & spread it around the layout - a nightmare on a DCC operated set up.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well mine is in the house now, On display as an ornament for the time being.Looks very nice. Other half noticed it and likes it as well. When I first moved in to her home the room in which it is displayed had a painting hanging in it of an LSWR loco painted by some friend of the family sometime ago. "Looks just like the one in the painting she said" . As it happens the painting depicted a T3 possibly the one that is preserved.Close enough for me to get approval without getting too technical. Any how a small but adequate cheque from earnie arrived today so I have a clear conscience again.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

On 15/12/2008 18:39, John Turner said,

They won't last the P4 conversion :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I overheard a conversation in a local model shop on Saturday to the effect that all of their stock (OK, it was only 2) of T9s were rejected due to obvious damage.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

rejected due to obvious damage.

If I did that with the ViTrains 37s & 47s none would ever get on sale - now there's a thought!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Regardless of how good it may, I wouldn't have there was that great a demand for an engine of that period in that scale?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

As modelled in Urie condition it is valid between 1922 and 1961. I rode behind one of the last survivors on an Ian Allan special to Ashford and Eastleigh works that year.

A smaller engine like this plus 4 or 5 coaches is much more realistic than a top link one on such a short train.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

In that case you might need one of these..

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

John,

that is a problem peculiar to specific manufacturers. Buy traction tyres from the Maerklin or Roco ranges and replace your nasty ones.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

"Fred X" wrote

Don't have anything with traction tyres or plastic wheels so don't have a major issue with dirty track.

Can't see the point in buying something like that when a Peco track rubber (GBP2.65) plus a hoover does for the once or twice a year that I need to clean my track.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

On the contrary Kim, it's a loco with a long time-scale of use. If only it hadn't been restricted (pretty much) to south of the Thames.

Now some ex-NER locos of similar vintage would be mega-popular up here int' North of England.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Just a shame it's in uglied condition (OK, I know that was how they looked for the last 3/5 of their working lives, but it's still hideous).

The R springs to immediate mind - something of similar proportions and long working life, as does the C/C1.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

But would be frecking useless to those south of the Themes - or the west of England, and I say that as a born and breed exLNER person (admittedly, or because of, now living well and truly in SR territory)...

Reply to
Jerry

Seen alongside the smaller Greatest Western engines on the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Berks & Hants line south of the Thames?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Of course. I was just pointing out that it wasn't just for Southern modellers.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

;)

Coming back to your point about similar-sized and aged NER engines having some appeal - the NER did run a considerable amount of express mileage off its own lines, with the result that at one time (1890s to 1922ish, IIRC from Ahrons) NER engines could be seen on NER trains at places like Blackpool, Edinburgh, London (Kings Cross) and - of interest to the south of the Thames mob - Southampton...

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen