Hornby T9

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:45:07 -0000, "John Turner" said in :

And dyne sythe as well. I model NE even though my daily transport to work is the Western.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Shouldnt really tell you about this but there was the time a number of 'foriegn' visitors including a Q1 visited the midlands for selection trials of the S**** R*****.

Anon

Reply to
simon

Some Southern King Arthurs worked on Tyneside in WW2.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote

Gosh - I didn't realise they got as far south at Southampton. Hornby will

*have* to model them now! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"simon" wrote

Oh indeed, and an ex-GWR 'Hall' (or was it a 'Grange'?) once managed to reach Huddersfield on a regular train. Wouldn't consider one to be a sensible addition to the loco stud of someone modelling every-day life in the West Riding of Yorkshire however.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

And a Southern (B4?) 0-4-0T managed to find itself at Crigglestone (near Wakefield) in West Yorkshire during WW2 and never got returned - I think it went into NCB stock from memory.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If anyone is interested, the story is recounted in "Hillhouse Immortals" from Oakwood Press.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

A ex-LMS Jubilee once managed to reach Brighton (Sussex), I wouldn't consider one to be a sensible addition to anyone modelling the ex-LBSCR lines in the said area either, unless one has a non-runner and a siding at the back of your MPD to sit it on - Jubilee's were (technically) banned by the civil engineer as being 'out of gauge' for the area - apparently it took weeks to plan for it's repatriation, never mind the many phone-calls etc. to all the stations the loco had passed through to check that no damage to platform-ramps had been done, much to the CE dept none had!

Reply to
Jerry

I've got a picture in a book, of a Dean Single on an regular inter-company working near Nottingham reached via Banbury and the Great Central.

Halls used to make this trip in later years. It's not inconceivable that it was the only available engine after a failure.

Towards the end of steam when engines roamed on enthusiast specials it was common for a sheds that liked them to hang on to them until they had to give them back - like a Schools class working up and down the former Great Central main line.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Ambulance trains to/from Netley Hospital nr. southampton were regularly visited by NER locomotives. Something to do with being equipped with both air and vacuum brakes I think.

Reply to
Keith Patrick