Hornby unrebuilt WC/BB

Is this the same body as that of the old Triang-Hornby WC/BB. i.e. the one that Tim Shackleton modified in his book 'Plastic-Bodied Locos'. Or have Hornby upgraded it, placing the chimney further forward in the correct place.(the old version was 2 scale feet to the rear of where it should have been to match in with their smoke unit) I would consider getting one if it is new and its accuracy is up to their reformed higher standards. As an additional question for anyone who might know: do they intend bringing out a rebuilt light pacific to the same standard as their new(ish) Merchant Navy?

Reply to
John Clements

"John Clements" wrote

I understand that this is a totally new body, BUT I have not personally checked it against a scale drawing or photographs of the prototype so cannot comment on its accuracy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I can confirm that Hornby have in fact produced two completely new bodies as they have modelled both the wide and narrow cab versions. Also the body is such that they correctly model the safety valves in either the early forward position (3 valves) or the later rear position (2 valves). A review of the new version can be found at

Graham 'Muz' South Bucks (UK) Modelling "Lydford Junction", and "Hawkhurst"

1946-1949 (Oh and anything unusual to do with Southern from around that period, that happens to catch my eye) Modellers Licence...yeah I have one of those...where did I put it?
Reply to
Graham 'Muz'

I'd read the review over on the SeMG site for starters :-

airsmoothed

Yes, its completely new, the chassis has many of the old problems sorted as well. It is much more dimensionally accurate, there is daylight between the smoke deflectors and the body side and the steps and pipe work is much finer.

No firm information on the rebuilt, but there are strong rumours that they will. I think I would prefer some decent Hornby Maunsell coaches instead, though.

Reply to
John Ruddy

The Hornby Unrebuilt Light Pacifics are totally new, and are light-years ahead of the old Tri-ang Hornby version. They, together with the rebuilt Merchant Navy models, are generally considered to be at the cutting-edge of ready-to-run models.

No rebuilt version has yet been announced by Hornby, but they cannot be too far down the line; given the availability of the chassis and tenders.

John Isherwood.

Reply to
John Isherwood

Reply to