Layout query

In my last house, I had an OO terminus station in the loft, from a design from an old railway modeller plan. I would like to rebuild it again but the space available in this loft sort of dictates I need to build it the opposite way around, a mirror image as such.

was wondering then, if some of the point work in the station throat may need to be be changed. Would it be just a matter of swapping the trailing and facing crossovers, or would it be more than that?

Pete.

Reply to
Nibbod

Main issue are the crossings on the station entrance, which would be on the wrong side for the original design's passenger running. That is trying to avoid facing turnouts on approaching the station, and I guess the empty stock is then shunted back out, and then pushed back into a departure platform.

But, if you just swap the crossings, you create problems accessing the goods yard. As originally drawn, the goods yard has a facing turnout approach from the running line, and a run out via the cross-over for departures. So, with this problem, you might choose to leave the first facing cross-over in its current place.

Without spending ages working through all the operations, I might just leave the whole thing mirrored, and not reverse any of the crossings. Counting the facing turnouts, there appears to be three on arrival (either mirrored or standard) for a main passenger train. On departure, that same train would have one facing (either plan), though the mirrored facing is later in the train's run. For a passenger into the minor platforms, again three facing on arrival on each plan, and one facing on departure (again much later on the mirrored plan). For freight, the mirror requires the arriving freight to negotiate the cross-over, whereas the original has the cross-over on departure.

I've assumed the line (shunting spur) nearest the bottom of the drawing is just a head-shunt to buffer stop, not a running line.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Pete,

I remember that plan :-) I think it appeared both in the RM and in one of CJF's Track Plan Books

It looks as though you'll be OK with it mirrored with no other changes. You can access all platforms and the goods reception road from the DOWN line, and you can get from every platform and the goods reception to the UP road. I can't see any other problems as a result of the mirroring. The facing and trailing crossovers in the throat have swapped positions but that would have to have happened if you wanted easy access to, and exit from, the goods reception.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

The obvious one is the trailing point and diamond crossing into the loco spur which is now a facing point.

Previously there was no way into it apart from the trailing direction, for safety.

Although there was facing access into the spur by the signal box.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

I agree Jim

There is no point (sorry) worrying about facing points at a terminus, since they were unavoidable anyway.

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Make a mirror image print of the plan. Then you'll see all the tunrouts, cross-overs etc in their correct, new orientation.

If you don't have a scanner, a copy shop should be willing to do it for you for a reasonable price.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf