Live Steam

Dear all. After reading a few earlier threads, I am intrigued by live steam (not Hornby). I know it must be expensive, but I would like to know more. I guess, UK outline, but what gauge (not interested in hauling people, but bigger than O).? What's available? Any websites. Thanks all Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John, thanks a lot.

Reply to
Rob Kemp

hello Bob - some people enjoy 3.5 inch gauge live steam. To the best of my knowledge Hornby made only one train in this gauge, which was the Stephenson's Rocket. Nowadays a rare and expensive item, but then live steam is expensive! From time to time you will find one on eBay - I have one for sale but am not writing to do a pitch on you.... just thought you could throw the info into the necktopcomputer with the rest of the live steam info

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Google for an introduction to the cheapest entry -

16mm to the foot scale on Gauge O track. Big following and national assoc. Generally gas (easy) or meths (exciting) fired, but you can't beat coal fired for the smell.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Thanks all.... Is there any difference between US and UK G gauge? As the track is available over here in the US Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Phil: G Gauge is worldwide = 45mm gauge. However, the SCALE of the models used tends to vary. LGB European stock is notionally 1:22.5, whilst US outline is 1:29 However again, I think their new 'Standard Gauge' on '45mm G scale' DB models also look as if they /might/ be 1:29 - But I have only seen the pictures and 1 loco.

The SCALE is varying because the models (from other manufacturers as well) represent a range of prototypes from 600mm gauge through 760mm to 1metre gauge European to 3ft gauge (and otyhers?) in America.

Not sure about the live steam manufacturers - depends on prototype? US or Europe refers here to the model outline, not location of stock for sale!

Reply to
Phil