Mamod Jubilee steam loco

I was recently allowed to choose this as a graduation present. The £325 seemed a bit steep, although the extra £100 seems to buy fully reciprocating cylinders with eccentric valve gear and a gas burner unit.

One of the other justifications for price was that it's limited edition - but I was wondering just how much the "limited edition" status will matter in terms of future value. I'm putting thought into customizing the model, which will obvioúsly negatively effect its value, but I won't do it if I'm like to ruin a "future collectable"...

Ronnie

-- Volunteer guard on the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, Leicestershire Visit the world's only double track preserved steam railway!

Ronnie Clark

If you bought it as an investment, leave it in the box and go away! If you have real blood in your veins, run the thing, and to hell with its resale value.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

No fear of leaving it in its box! Even with just one length of Peco SM32 track, it's quite fun to run! The mods I'm thinking of adding a RC valve to the steam pipe, and taking the exhaust and route it through the chimney (whether either is possible, I'm yet to investigate).

Ronnie

-- Volunteer guard on the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, Leicestershire Visit the world's only double track preserved steam railway!

Ronnie Clark

I detect yet another person who is afraid they may have accidently bought a collectable, when that is not at all what they wanted. You have two choices: a) decide that since you didn't want a collectable in the first place, go ahead and hack it, b) flog it on e-bay and buy something non-collectable, which is what you wanted in the first place.

Honestly, this "collectable" business gets people so confused. Collectables are fine, leave them to the collectors. The rest of us that are actually interested in *doing* things rather than dusting off our museums should just get on with it. Once in a while we might unintentionally reduce the population of collectables by one unit, which only makes the collectors happier anyway, since we've made all of theirs just that much more rare.

I recently saw a child receive a gift of a stuffed animal. The mother said "You should leave the tag on. They are worth more that way."

"To whom are they worth more?" I was thinking. Was the child going to put it on e-bay that afternoon? The mother had collection-blindness. The joy of a child with a new stuffy was somehow invisible to her, since her vision was blocked out by an auction bill.

end-of-rant

Jimminy Christmas, man, go have fun with it.

-dave

Reply to
Dave Curtis

Dave Curtis wrote:-

That's nothing new. Do you think any of those middle class kids whose parents bought Basset-Lowke or Bing toys were ever allowed to play with them? They were strictly to be looked at but not touched which is why so many of them survive today. Hornby-Dublo was never cheap either. A lot of it was bought for us by parents returning from Army service abroad and taking advantage of special tax concessions. I don't think it was entirely coincidence that Hornby went under just two years after national service was phased out.

(kim)

Reply to
kim