Bachmann Jinty & K3

The new Jinty is rather nice. I don't know how accurate it is. It looks spot on though!

A few snaps taken this afternoon in the garage....

Chris Nevard

Reply to
Chris Nevard

"Chris Nevard" wrote

Don't like the chimney at all, but otherwise looks superb.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What's wrong with the chimney, John?

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

"John Lancaster" wrote

Take a look at the way the chimney cap meets the main part of the chimney in Chris Nevard's pictures:

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Comparing these with online images of the prototype, I assume the problem is the rough join near the top of the chimney? Is this on all those you have in stock?

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

"John Lancaster" wrote

Yes, they all appear to be like this. The fit of the cap into the rest of the chimney is poor - real case of spoiling the ship for a ha'penn'orth of tar.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Chris Nevard"

Excellent modelling.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway (Site now back up and working)

Roger T.

In message , John Turner writes

So fix it then. Are we models or mice?

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

Squeak!

Reply to
estarriol

Reply to
Gene

The message from "estarriol" contains these words:

Doesn't the short skirt suit you?

Reply to
David Jackson

"Ian Birchenough" wrote

And if your local car dealer sold you a new car with a wing which didn't fit properly?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

How true, it seems that we modellers, on both sides of the pond, will accept less than best products and have done for years.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway (Site now back up and working)

Roger T.

I'd look forward to the challenge of making it fit :)

Maybe I just enjoy challenges, though. I regularly work at a station where the current initiative is to have ready a picnic area for next season. But there's no disabled access from the platforms. Answer? Pick-axe and a few hours of graft make a nice little earth-work slope ready for paving. :)

I generally apply the same attitude to most things. Accept that things never quite come the way you want them to. Work out how best to remedy the fault. Do it.

Ronnie

-- Volunteer guard on the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, Leicestershire Visit the world's only double track preserved steam railway!

Ronnie Clark

John Turner wrote:-

There was an old adage in the British car industry:- "Wait for the MkII version to come out with most of the sillier faults rectified".

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Yes, and I wonder how many have done that with the painfully awful Bachmann class 37? Still at least the MkII version is now imminent.

I currently want to buy a Canon 20D digital camera, but the software faults are stopping me even considering one at the moment. However, they will fix it in the short term so then I'll buy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

For £45-00? Its not perfect, but then again it's not a 'perfect' price either is it? It's less than the cost of a couple of resin wagon kits plus wheels and bearings and if I can build those I'm sure I could fix the jinty's imperfections if they bothered me that much. As far as the price goes it's in the cheaper end of the market. If I bought the Eureka Garrett and found a comparable problem then I might feel I had grounds to complain about it. If you want perfection you pay accordingly - if you don't pay you can't reasonably complain without sounding petty.

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

Ahhh and how are its running qualities please?

Post a follow-up to this message

Running quality appears to be the same as most Bachmann 0-6-0's, a little notchy - 7/10 and no doubt different per unit. We really should be looking at flywheels these days. I would pay the extra for that.

Chris Nevard

Reply to
Chris Nevard

"Ian Birchenough" wrote

I'm not disputing any of that, but someone asked me what I thought of the model and I gave an opion which said apart from the chimney I thought it was superb.

Shame they don't all run as well as they look. This is one loco where your MUST see it run before buying. There are some real dogs amongst them.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

I know it is off-topic but what software problems? I have just bought one!

Reply to
John East