New Airfix ads

Hi all,

Anybody seen the "new" airfix ads in the magazines?

The Me109 is built "not really clean, looks like it's painted with a large square brush, and all the used decals are out of register.

Anybody know what that's about?

Reply to
Bert-Jan

I remember, quite a few years ago, reading that Airfix were successfully sued in the US by a chap who objected to the boxtop paintings. He had bought a B-17G kit and was concerned to find that there were only parts enough to build one aircraft, instead of the three or four (and a couple of Japanese fighters) shown on the boxtop painting. Possibly in response to this there was a trend towards putting a photograph of the completed model on the boxtop.

This didn't help Monogram. Their boxtop models were built by Shep Paine. Monogram were sucessfully sued because one chap had built up his kit and it didn't look anywhere near as good as the one on the boxtop. Basically, Monogram were punished for the chap's lack of modelling skills. After that, it seemed to me that Monogram's boxtop models were built by a small drunken sloth with a bag on its head!

Maybe Airfix is going the same way with these ads.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

so who ended up owning airfix?

Reply to
someone

Hornby Railways or "Hornby Hobbies" as they now prefer to be known.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

tanks

Reply to
someone

Bert-Jan said the following on 03/12/2007 22:41:

Is it a new 'retro' style advert? Some of the old adverts proudly boast "With moving part." or something to that effect but what we notice is that the whole model looks crap.

My forgotten about Airfix club signing up kit arrived yesterday and it does look rather nice. A (ahem) limited edition 1:48 Spitfire MxXVIe.

I must remember to put a spot of glue on my fingers before placing the canopy though for that retro touch.

Reply to
Richard Brooks