Bachmann Jinty & K3

I'd also like to know, as this is the model I was thinking of abandoning my ancient 35mm SLR for.

My chairman John East?

Ronnie

-- Volunteer guard on the Great Central Railway, Loughborough, Leicestershire Visit the world's only double track preserved steam railway!

Ronnie Clark

"John East" wrote

I can't remember the specifics without doing some serious research (which time precludes) but try *Canon 20D software problems* in Google.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Ronnie Clark writes

layout - it is a railway where what I say ALWAYS happens!!!

How about a few other members of the group coming to Loughborough and try modelling at 12" to the foot gauge?

Best wishes

Reply to
John East

No doubt the Managers of any Pubs on it give no trouble either.

GHB.

Reply to
g.harman

salvé John East skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@gcrphoto.demon.co.uk...

Dear John, If you are actually taking pix for posterity then buy another SLR conventional camera, the sad fact is that most of the digital pix available new today will in 20 years be unavailable for accesss except to those of us who have an interest in ancient computer technology. I had my eyes opened on this problem by a recent swdish tv documentary about the problems already arising (ALREADY!!!!!) because of people leaving permanent medium(photographs) to temporary (digital images on disks) the photo's it was pointed out , from the 1800´s still exist today(originals) they can be accessed simply by looking at them, but the digital requires a load of expensive machinery to get even a glimpse, and can be erased by a simple mistake, If you want to have images to joy in for ther est of your life, invest again in a real camera, even a cheap one will give the joy that a digital imager will never approach, and for ease of access? open an album , look at piccy ...close album.....start pc, wait, open programme..wait.search for image wait...image found ...wait.... look at image, reverse process to leave ..... Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Not just photos, alas, but a lot of digital technology is already difficult to access after a few years. A friend of mine is a fairly senior bod in the world of archives, and tells me that it is usually more difficult to access any sort of digital file more than a few years old than it is analogue (usually written/printed) stuff dating back many centuries. It's one of the major problems in her field apparently. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Salvé BH Williams skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:cpeol8$5r3$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

yes the documentary opened my eyes, I have a largeish video collection and now that DVD is taking over there are some that I want to keep but the problem of transferring from vhs to dvd etc is a hassle, and I'm not even sure as to its legality, Just think of our hobby without Ivo Peters or any of the other photographers, a quiet browse through a book filled with their photographs is a real joy, and an eye opener,When in twenty years the present generation of enthusiasts go to look back on their hobbywill they actually be able to access their own memories?! There are other problems , its quite possible to blow up a conventional photo but try to do the same with a 72dpi image, even with photoshop! the detail becomes rather more than just grainy!! Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

"BH Williams" wrote

Overstated problem in my opinion. Even if the method of saving jpegs or tiffs becomes outdated there is every likelihood that bridging software will be available, and as computers get faster, then rewriting from one format to another will be a quick matter.

Don't forget also that photographic negatives and slides also deteriorate, and that scanning and saving in digital form *might* be the best method of preserving them.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John,

If you talk to librarians or archivists, a major ongoing problem is refreshing or changing the format of modern media. Even with super fast copying methods, it would still be a very major task.

Modern photographic stock is very stable and if you talk to Kodak or Fuji, they will start talking about a life of many tens of years, (if not hundreds) if the material is stored in reasonable conditions. One of their selling points for the photographic medium is reliable genuine long term archival storage.

And you don't need to look far for other proof. I've got photographs in my house which were taken at the turn of last century which makes them well over 100 years old. They've been kept in an album in a drawer with no special storage conditions, and they probably look as good as the day they were made.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

Whilst I won't disagree with this, I think it fair to say that the average railway enthusiast will find it easier to store an image digitally than find the time to properly catalogue and file conventional images.

And I have a fair number (stretching into hundreds) of monochrome negatives dating back to the 30s, some of which are in excellent condition, but others which are sadly scratched and mold infested. I've also got stacks of 35mm transparancies from the 50s and 60s which have been horribly neglected by previous owners and for which scanning and digital storage are probably the only cost-effective means of preserving them for the future.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Also, computer users are famous - notorious, in fact - for NOT creating backups.

I'd rather trust hard copy than hard disk copy, though keeping both is the best option.

Reply to
Brian Watson

I believe that NASA have warehouses full of data (from the 1960s) on disks and/or tapes but because the data is stored in obsolete format(s) they have to rely on a very small stock of extremely elderly and temperamental disk/tape readers.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Those people must surely be approaching retirement age?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Can't think why this is such a problem.

I draw material from 3" discs that were formatted on an Amstrad CPC computer.

Even for that machine there are several file format converters that do mass copying/converting.

Reply to
Brian Watson

On 11/12/2004 21:19, Brian Watson wrote,

Perhaps NASA haven't got an Amstrad CPC :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Paul Boyd wrote:-

Of course not they use a Sinclair ZX80 built from a kit :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Unfortunately a great deal of more recent photographic material is considerably less stable. The acetate base material is turning to vinegar. Most film from the '50s onward is affected and can deteriorate within as little as 30 years.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

OTOH, libraries are busy converting archived dead trees into digital formats.

Isn't part of the problem obsolete hardware and storage media, rather than the data itself? I can't read my old school projects, which are on 5.25" disks in some proprietory text editor format, but I /can/ read my old university project (should some unlikely situation require it), which is a PDF stored on a few different networked computers. We can still read HTML 3.2 documents, even though it is obsolete, and Opera 7 is almost unrecognisable from something like Netscape 4.

A JPEG might still be readable, a JPEG on a 3.5" floppy might not be. I reckon the big snag will be all the crap photos to wade through, once people aren't thinking "Jessops will charge me for developing a pointless picture if I waste a shot on this"!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Which explains why they can't put a man on Mars.

CPC's had a game in which you could in 1985.

Reply to
Brian Watson

It's the same with old TV archives, that are stored on obsolete media.

Reply to
MartinS