Maximum Speed

I have, but strangely enough, the speedometer in my car didnt magically change from miles to kilometres.

Reply to
John Ruddy

So far as displayed road distances are concerned they're metric already!

Reply to
GbH

My dear Wolf visiting the colonies is so passé ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Ruddy" wrote

Mine does - admittedly only at the touch of a button.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Bevan Price wrote:-

Didn't they have to have the mechanism specially balanced before they could exceed 50mph? Also I read that even if balanced the mechanism took a terrible pounding if high speed was maintained for any length of time.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Andy Sollis wrote:-

Is that with or without a load?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Is that a metric nose dive "of" or an imperial nose dive "off" ;-)

Reply to
Mick

Sad to say it was a 4 mm to the foot on 3.5 mm to the foot track, measured in inches, converted to millimetres, converted back to feet, divided out to make yards, divided again to make miles measured against the universally constant seconds that were played about with to make hours and then all struck together sort of "nose dive" ("of" is optional) ...

Following this the track got a 3 degree super elevation and please lets not go into "mils" .. . 8~\

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Especially since ain't got any left. Except maybe for a few bits of coral somewhere in the Caribbean, IIRC.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Western Region scheduled them on Wales - London expresses until the powers that be decided that this should not be done.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

How does one say "km/h"?

Our speed limit signs are similar to those in the USA (they say MAXIMUM instead of SPEED LIMIT); many of them have an auxiliary tag - km/h.

Reply to
MartinS

A Hornby 06 has a ridiculous top speed, probably a couple of hundred kph at least! It doesn't stay on corners either, sometimes it'll balance on two wheels, slowing down as it loses power, or just derail :-/

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

Bermuda, Gibralter and maybe the Falkland Islands but not much more, and no doubt I've got some of those wrong?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I was looking at an old French map of what was then Indo-China, and the latitude and longitude thereon was in some sort of metric system, units 'grades', so be thankful that angular measurements are still in the old system. Trust the Frogs to be different, probably inspired by The Little Corporal. On the original subject of model loco speeds, if the connecting and coupling rods on model steam locos are going so fast that they are a blur, then the model is going far faster than the real thing. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

kilometres per hour

You can't abbreviate it as kph because that would translate as "kilo pico hour" which would be 3.6us (micro seconds).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

'tis easy really. A km is approx. 5/8ths of a mile.

Reply to
tiM

Yeas, I suppose so but I just can't visualise it, weights/lengths ... fairly easy as I can picture them using proper measurements as a guide. Speed though is different, I know I walk (on the level) at 4mph, I know what 30mph looks like from the inside of a car, when I was still flying again of course I worked in "miles" albeit the differences between nm and ordinary ones ... kph I'm afraid to say is something I simply can't follow.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

That must make you almost unique in this country. Anti speed camera campaigners allege that this is impossible! ;-)

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

On 18/12/2004 18:54, MartinS wrote,

I think they were talking about changing to driving on the right here as well. As an experiment, the government were going to try it first with lorries......

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 18/12/2004 19:38, Mark Thornton wrote,

Do we? This is much to the chagrin of the British tourist industry. It does make it much better, though, for those who choose to holiday in this country - the only tourists you get are the foreign variety escaping, who on the whole are much more pleasant and better behaved than the home-grown variety. I've even grown used to reading the Welsh road signs in Welsh without having to look at the English translation!

Great, isn't it! Not sure why anyone would want to model using those standards though. Might have been OK for the 1950s :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd