Maximum Speed

I also know what 30mph feels like when driving. Surely to drive within the speed limit you don't have to stare at your imperial speedo all the time, do you? The easiest way to avoid being caught by speed cameras is not to speed, then you don't have to care whether they are there or not! What anti-speed camera campaigners would be better of doing is sorting out the discrepancy between being fined for doing 32mph in a 30 limit when car speedos are only supposed to be accurate to +/-10%. The obvious answer there is to drive so that at +10% of your indicated speed you are still within the limit, but that's pushing it a bit!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Oh I don't know, most folks with a bit of experience even without special training can judge speeds to ~5 mph when driving. Try it yourself next time you're out and about, you'd be surprised just how accurate you can be, even as a pedestrian judging the speed of road vehicles isn't to difficult, again with a bit of practice I reckon you should be able to guess reasonably accurately (to within around 5mph), again without any special training. FWIW I've seen police traffic officers in action taking bets with each other on the speed of approaching vehicles, the best can usually do it to within 1 mph on speeds under 70 ish (when checked against the magic hairdryer).

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Speedos are required to be accurate to +10% -0% i.e. they must not indicate that you are going slower than you actually are.

So at an indicated 30 you should be in the range 27 to 30mph.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Paul, sorry to take issue with you here, but you are wrong. Car speedos must be within +10%, -0%. They are not legally allowed to under-read, only over-read. This is in the interests of road speed safety and has been the law for a long, long time, at least since the '70's. I do however agree with various posters both here and on other groups that if you don't speed, you won't get a speeding fine. Having said that, I am totally against the lone camera on the only long straight bit of road for the best part of 20 miles that prevents you safely overtaking the hgv that has been holding you up (by legally sitting at 40mph, the legal maximum for an articulated unit on a single carriageway road) for the same distance!! (A68, Jedburgh to Edinburgh. "If you've driven it, you'll curse it!") Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I agree --- it is just the anti camera nuts who 'claim' you have to keep your eye on the speedo to avoid fines.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Mark Thornton wrote:-

I would rather they mounted cameras above so-called bus lanes as I've seen many pedestrians almost run over by cars speeding along these and the police taking no action to prevent it. On one occasion a police car was in the middle of a convoy of six cars using a bus lane illegally. There was no other point in the street where a pedestrian could cross safely.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

William Pierce wrote:-

It's to do with the French Revolution. The new elite sought to abolish all measutrements which had any connection with the Imperial System whether that made any sense or not. Since food purchases made no sense in kilos the French re-invented the "libre" or pound until this too was abolished by the EU. Food is now priced "per 100 grams" which makes even less sense. A customer at the deli counter of my local supermarket asked what two partilcar products cost per pound? The cheese was £18 per lb, the ham was £23 per lb. Consumers have no idea what they are really spending.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I had an uncle who was a frog, but he croaked.

Actually my frogs are powered, with the routing handled by the point motor. Although that was nothing to do with some little corporal. Is this what you meant?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Don't you find that giving the frogs a bit of power was more trouble than they're worth? ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Rivet, rivet.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Oi, hop it ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I've seen Chinese texts with km/h, in the Roman alphabet, in the middle of the Chinese characters.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

I think ours say "target average". Or maybe that's just how rather too many people interpret them!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Without being too pedantic about the precise meaning of "colony", there are (wanders to FCO website) 14 overseas territories left:

Anguilla, British Antarctic Territory, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island and Tristan da Cunha), Turk and Caicos Islands, Pitcairn Island, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, Sovereign Base Areas on Cyprus.

They might be full of sheep, penguins and offshore banks, but a few are still there. None with railways since the Hong Kong handover, though (Falklands, Bermuda, BIOT have had some form of railway in the past, possibly others?)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

" On one occasion a police car was in the middle of a

Not all Bus Lanes are 24hours, so just because there are road markings don't assume that cars cannot use them legally. Pedestrians should exercise as much care crossing bus lanes as any other part of the road. (or perhaps more because taxis can use a lot of bus lanes!!!)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On 19/12/2004 14:36, Badger wrote,

I stand corrected. In that case, there is definitely no excuse for speeding!

It seems that most people are unaware of the speed limits of other types of vehicle. I often drive the works van, which means I can't go at

70mph on dual carriageways or 60mph on single carriageways! See
for confirmation, those doubters amongst you!
Reply to
Paul Boyd

Approx 201.6 km/h

Reply to
tiM

Around here the maximum speed of Diesel-electrics is set by the speed at which the motor windings of the nose hung motors can be guarenteed to stay in place.

126 x 1.601 = 201.7 Km/hr.

Regards, Greg.P. NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter